Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences between an early 70/71 dashboard and later 72-76?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MidshipMadness
Can an early dashboard be made to work on a later 914 and vise versa? I'm going to look at a 71 parts car today.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(MidshipMadness @ May 11 2020, 06:44 AM) *

Can an early dashboard be made to work on a later 914 and vise versa? I'm going to look at a 71 parts car today.

Differences:

Early have no dash vents in the ends.

Early car chassis does on have the tubes for the dash vents.

Early car glove box and door are slightly wider.

Early cars have a vent on top of the dash in the middle.

You can put an early dash in a late car, and you can put a late dash in an early car.

MidshipMadness
If I find that the guy has a nice 71 upper dash pad, what differences will I find with the dash pad in my 76? I understand that the 72 and later cars have side vents and early cars do not.

I just want to know if an early upper dash will work on a 76 car or is there something unique about the early upper dash pads that will cause fitment problems.

On early cars I understand the vent is in the middle...but I don't know if you mean on the dash face or the upper pad. I should know this already because I used to own a 71...but that was 25 years ago. I've been doing image searches for differences in the upper dash pads and cannot seem to find anything useful.

Anybody got a pic of the differences?
mepstein
You will pay 2-3x more for an early dash pad compared to mid or late. The dash vent is on the dash but not the dash pad.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(MidshipMadness @ May 11 2020, 07:22 AM) *

If I find that the guy has a nice 71 upper dash pad, what differences will I find with the dash pad in my 76? I understand that the 72 and later cars have side vents and early cars do not.

I just want to know if an early upper dash will work on a 76 car or is there something unique about the early upper dash pads that will cause fitment problems.

On early cars I understand the vent is in the middle...but I don't know if you mean on the dash face or the upper pad. I should know this already because I used to own a 71...but that was 25 years ago. I've been doing image searches for differences in the upper dash pads and cannot seem to find anything useful.

Anybody got a pic of the differences?

Go look in the Originality Forums in the Interiors parts for pictures of the different dashes.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 11 2020, 11:26 AM) *
Go look in the Originality Forums in the Interiors parts for pictures of the different dashes.

agree.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showforum=44
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.