Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Zinc-plated nuts, bolts, screws, etc
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
jwinner
Curious if any of you have already crossed this bridge? Looking to replace my rusted nuts, bolts, screws, washers, etc with zinc-plated versions, does anybody make a pre-packaged assortment? Thanks, James
mepstein
AA makes an interior and trim kit but nobody does a kit to replace all the cars hardware. If everything is coming off for a rustoration you can send it out to get plated or you can go through PET and order what you need from Bellmetric
bdstone914
@jwinner
' date='May 11 2020, 06:30 AM' post='2813922']
Curious if any of you have already crossed this bridge? Looking to replace my rusted nuts, bolts, screws, washers, etc with zinc-plated versions, does anybody make a pre-packaged assortment? Thanks, James
[/quote]

I have many of the larger nuts and bolts replated. It is not worth the cost the replate common 6 and 8mm hardware as opposed to buying new.
PM me if you are interested in buying some hardware.
Bruce
jwinner
Not doing a rustoration, just replacing as I tinker and thought it would be nice to buy an assortment instead of running to Ace Hardware every other day lol
mepstein
You can buy yellow zinc plated metric sets on amazon, eBay, Wurth, etc but they aren’t specific for our cars.
jwinner
I will check it out Mark, thank you!
Superhawk996
Be sure you're replacing like hardware with like hardware.

Most of 914 is Grade 8.8 - be sure you aren't replacing with non-graded China metric hardware.

Supension parts are generally grade 10.8

Marked clearly on bolt heads of whatever you're removing.
raynekat
35 years ago, I started out with just the blue box full of metric yellow zinc hardware.

Click to view attachment

With time, I added more and more fasteners.
And I keep them stocked up so I'm usually never without a fastener that I need.
I keep the old ones that come of the car if they are unusual.

There are still times, I need to get something from Belmetric or run down to my local incredible hardware store that has a lot of metric as well (just not enough yellow zinc).

The biggest problem with finding a nice box (or selection) of metric hardware nowadays is that most are not in yellow zinc.

When you're servicing/restoring/maintaining a couple of early 70's Porsches, this is the only way to fly. wink.gif
mb911
Bel metric has everything you need..
Jett
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 11 2020, 07:39 PM) *

35 years ago, I started out with just the blue box full of metric yellow zinc hardware.

Click to view attachment

With time, I added more and more fasteners.
And I keep them stocked up so I'm usually never without a fastener that I need.
I keep the old ones that come of the car if they are unusual.

There are still times, I need to get something from Belmetric or run down to my local incredible hardware store that has a lot of metric as well (just not enough yellow zinc).

The biggest problem with finding a nice box (or selection) of metric hardware nowadays is that most are not in yellow zinc.

When you're servicing/restoring/maintaining a couple of early 70's Porsches, this is the only way to fly. wink.gif

LoL I have the same addiction. For most larger nuts, bolts, and washers we have them cadmium plated. For our restorations we started with an AA kit and had it plated but found that some fasteners were different than stock, so we plated our old stuff and bought from Bruce to fill the gaps.
mepstein
agree.gif Always keep the old stuff. Even if you don't reuse, it's a good reference.
jwinner
Thanks guys, all good information for me to use. What would be the best solvent/method for me to clean greasy old nuts, bolts, small parts? I do not have a parts washer...
mepstein
In my case, it's not grease, it's rust. So I wire wheel them and send them out to get replated. If it's just dirt and grease, drop them in a plastic bottle, add some grease disolving detergent and water, screw on cap and shake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.