Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F & R main seal install- tricks of trade?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
Installing new front and rear main seals on my '73 2.0 (rear is flywheel seal) and haven't done this for a while...

Any new tricks to make installation either easier or successful? TIA.
bdstone914
QUOTE(SKL1 @ May 11 2020, 11:40 AM) *

Installing new front and rear main seals on my '73 2.0 (rear is flywheel seal) and haven't done this for a while...

Any new tricks to make installation either easier or successful? TIA.

I stub axle works well as an installation tool for the rear main seal with which it is the same diameter.
There are two different depths if the rear seal. 10 and 12 mm. The seal rides on the curved part of the flywheel. I prefer to install to seal no deeper than is needed. It may not need to go to the bottom of the bore.

iankarr
There’s footage of installing the RMS in my clutch replacement video. Link in my signature below. Rear goes on pretty easy. For the front I use some permatex aviation sealant in the bore and a piece of pvc or large socket which is about the size of the seal. tapped on lightly. You can also just use a small wood block. Jake Raby uses a soft faced hammer directly on the seal in his rebuild video.
Bleyseng
I have had the best luck having no leaks using the Sabo rear main seal. The orange colored seals seem to leak for me. mad.gif
Regrease your flywheel needle bearing while you are in there and check the pilot shaft seal on the tranny.
SKL1
Great videos! thx!
abes914
any tricks on removing the old seals?
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 12 2020, 09:44 AM) *

I have had the best luck having no leaks using the Sabo rear main seal. The orange colored seals seem to leak for me. mad.gif
Regrease your flywheel needle bearing while you are in there and check the pilot shaft seal on the tranny.

+1 on Geoff's advice. Sabo is the only one to get.

I got mine from Gowesty.com Here's a tech article they've got on type 4 rear main seals gowesty.com rear main seal article

For removal I use a seal puller, but you've got to take care not to scratch the seal bore
iankarr
QUOTE(abes914 @ May 12 2020, 03:44 PM) *

any tricks on removing the old seals?

...Also covered in the clutch install video wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.