Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rearview mirror adhesive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sprout
My rearview mirror fell off, so I bought a Permatex extreme strength liquid adhesive kit. The old mirror base still had some of the old foam pad on it, so I cleaned all that off, as well as the windshield. Before I put it on, I found an old thread on here where someone said to only use the adhesive pad similar to the original, and NOT glue the base directly to the windshield.

Does using the pad really matter that much? Have people glued directly to the glass and not had any problems?

Thanks
DucRS
I applied my mirror directly to windshield, didn’t know any better. I first used 220 sandpaper on a counter to sand any residual glue and it also gave me a flat surface to assure a good bond. Bought some mirror glue from Autozone and it turned out great.

-Alfred
porschetub
QUOTE(Sprout @ May 12 2020, 08:33 AM) *

My rearview mirror fell off, so I bought a Permatex extreme strength liquid adhesive kit. The old mirror base still had some of the old foam pad on it, so I cleaned all that off, as well as the windshield. Before I put it on, I found an old thread on here where someone said to only use the adhesive pad similar to the original, and NOT glue the base directly to the windshield.

Does using the pad really matter that much? Have people glued directly to the glass and not had any problems?

Thanks

Ive never had any luck with adhesives on any car,I used a pad from Pelican I seem to remember its a 924/944 part ...not 100% sure now,they are cheap so buy 2.
I marked out the outside of the screen where I could see the old outline from the inside with blue painters tape.
These pads only work if the surfaces are totally clean,I used window cleaner then acetone ,line it up to your reference mark and give it a firm push onto the screen,job done,good luck.
Chris914n6
Glue always shows air bubbles.

Also if you have to replace the windshield in the future, the glue will likely pull a chunk of the glass off with it so it's a pain to clean the base.
HansJan
The Porsche dealer sells the correct pads.
Get it from them.
Sprout
Thanks, all! I think I'll order some of the 3M VHB black foam tape and see how that works.
Sprout
QUOTE(HansJan @ May 11 2020, 04:30 PM) *

The Porsche dealer sells the correct pads.
Get it from them.

I actually called the parts dept at the local dealership, and the guy didn't seem interested in even looking it up. He said the techs there just use glue and stick it to the windshield. confused24.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(Sprout @ May 12 2020, 10:05 AM) *

Thanks, all! I think I'll order some of the 3M VHB black foam tape and see how that works.

No ,been there and done that,buy the correct pad its like $4 from memory.
Go on to pelican and search in 914/944 for rear view pad or similar.
raynekat
I agree with those folks saying to use the correct pad.
They are easy to install, hold like stink and can be removed easily if needed (think piano wire or guitar string).

I would never try to GLUE the mirror to the window.

Just get something like this:

Click to view attachment

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/12605265-OE-9...AyABEgKXkPD_BwE

And be done with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.