Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cutting the Console for AC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BPic
I'm getting ready to install the DPD AC unit under the dash and will need to cut my console. I know there was a template in the DPD install instructions and found it on Jeff B's site but it looks like a copy of a copy of a copy that was shrunk.

Does any have a clear copy of the template? It's templates 2223 and 2224.

Thanks all!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(BPic @ May 12 2020, 07:40 AM) *

I'm getting ready to install the DPD AC unit under the dash and will need to cut my console. I know there was a template in the DPD install instructions and found it on Jeff B's site but it looks like a copy of a copy of a copy that was shrunk.

Thanks all!

Before you cut up a good console, I have one that has already been savaged if you would like it for the cost of shipping. PM me and I'll see if I can find it in my storage unit this weekend. . Not perfect by any means but a good candiate for recovering as it's already shortened.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I absolutely second that!!!!!!!!! Do not cut a good console!!!!!! we make console cut woods, but there are probably many many cut console pieces out there you can use and sell your parts for a lot of money to a concours guy

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 12 2020, 05:43 AM) *

QUOTE(BPic @ May 12 2020, 07:40 AM) *

Thanks all!

Before you cut up a good console, I have one that has already been savaged if you would like it for the cost of shipping. PM me and I'll see if I can find it in my storage unit this weekend. . Not perfect by any means but a good candiate for recovering as it's already shortened.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
also the DPD units had plastic top and face plates on them
Chris914n6
I agree. I wouldn't cut up a $200 stock console for $20 in plywood.

I have one that I can take measurements from & pics. I'll need to dig it out of the garage first.
Ansbacher
I have a DPD specific console plastic front plate for the gauges. Pretty neat, because it cants the gauges slightly toward the driver for better visibility. PM me if you are interested. I also have a DPD blower and control switches in great shape if needed. I think I also have the plastic top piece mentioned above.

Ansbacher
ValcoOscar
Please share photos.

Best of luck, for me I'm taking a different, odd approach to cooling/heating my interior.

I'm mocking up a system that will be hidden under the dash. biggrin.gif confused24.gif
Stock side and defroster vents for air flow.

Oscar
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 12 2020, 12:46 PM) *

Please share photos.

Best of luck, for me I'm taking a different, odd approach to cooling/heating my interior.

I'm mocking up a system that will be hidden under the dash. biggrin.gif confused24.gif

Oscar

please share pics and info!
wes
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 12 2020, 09:46 AM) *

Please share photos.

Oscar

Hey Oscar I have the classic air kit and was thinking on the same line as you’re going although two projects ahead of this. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(wes @ May 12 2020, 09:59 AM) *

Please share photos.

Oscar

Hey Oscar I have the classic air kit and was thinking on the same line as you’re going although two projects ahead of this. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

Cool Wes...same here...I'm always multitasking my 914 projects but I'm determined to do this. I will create a thread soon.

Oscar
BPic
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 12 2020, 12:46 PM) *

Please share photos.

Oscar

Oscar I would love to see what your planning.

I don't have long legs so I wasn't worried about losing cockpit space. I relly like the look of the GT cutout on the bumper for the oil cooler and I hated the fact of having the condenser sitting on the bottom of the frunk with a hole in the floor. So I went with the GT bumper cut from Ben (bumpers getting Chromed now) and put the condenser and fans in a custom shroud. Here's a few pics showing the progress.

Had a louvered pan made for the exit airflow.

Click to view attachment

Added a steel tube for support due to the hole in front of the car and covered to make a shelf.

Click to view attachment

Mock up of the shroud with fans.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Final shroud prior to paint.

Click to view attachment

Painted shroud with Cad hardware bling

Click to view attachment

I updated the DPD unit and have a Sanden compressor. All the lines are custom made lengths so there isn't any slack or looping. The lines from the condenser run through bottom rail and under the tank then up the back wall to go into the cabin at the top just left of the fresh air valve. I should be getting the DPD unit installed this weekend.

@Superhawk996 offered up a console that is already cut so I may just be offering a pristine console for sale in the near future.

Thank you Superhawk996 you are a true gentleman! I will certainly pay this forward.
beerchug.gif

sixnotfour
I always wondered if modifying the knee pad would work,,giving back knee room confused24.gif
djway

Please share photos.

Oscar

Me too but adding a center vent beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.