Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greater San Diego Area 914 Group
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fadler1
OK, I have had THIS 914 for a few years but I have owned Porsches since 1976.

One thing that seems obvious to me is that 914's and their owners break down into a couple of groups with different focuses. Some folks have them for nostalgia or an interest in "old" cars that were innovative (type 1) and other folks are purely into making the fastest roller skate in town for racing legally or illegally (type 2). I am appealing to group number one since PCA seems to take care of most of group number two.

I like mine and appreciate it as a great "old" car. I restored the one I have and drive it to feel good. I restored an MG after the 914 since I had one of those when I was kid also and found that the local (San Diego) MG club had a bunch of nice people to talk to and to drive on short runs with just to keep the carbon out . What is missing in 914's in San Diego is a local organization of the type 1 people who want to take for example the AAA "backroads San Diego" book and drive weekend 30-60 mile caravans to a restaurant en route and just talk and exchange "knowledge" on keeping these things running.

IS THERE ANYONE INTERESTED, if I start to make that move for "San Diego Region" 914 club? With the MG's, the group actually met at a Boll Weevil once a month and had a small newsletter and website. If there are a few people interested, I can email some of the "day trip" maps for San Diego and we can discuss a short drive and lunch on a weekend and maybe getting organized.

Anyone interested? I don't want to drive over to Arizona to do a Route 66 with that group. Frankly, the 914 isn't the most comfortable thing to drive long HOT distances and believe me in the '70's when you had a chance of a local repairing your breakdown it was still tough driving from Chicago (where I had my first one) to Dallas.

I am interested in afternoon runs and some socialization with people who don't own the "snob" Porsches but those who like having the VolksPorsche.

Let me know.

Fred Adler
San Diego
fadler@genbio.com confused24.gif confused24.gif
SLITS
If you've been around, you missed 3 BAJA Runs (one including Lyons Road), Two North County backroad runs...

And there are people in San Diego that used to participate. With the defection of Red Beard to icon8.gif Tejas and the imminent departure of Dr. Evil....there's no one left

Fun's all over....sell the cars
bernbomb914
Slits you have been puffen on the gold too much if that is possible. I would be interested in what you propose but I live in so Riverside Co. there are a lot of 914s in our area if we can keep them running. there should be lots of interest if you want to put it together.

Bernie
fadler1
That's precisely what I am getting at.....................it seems that there might be people interested in "stockers" or slightly modified (like mine has a big bore kit and hydraulic valves) and those that just use the "shells" to house something else. There is probably an "age" thing in play here. Us "older" folks that have them and remember when they were in the dealerships and people with a different idea.
SLITS
Hey...I resemble being old...almost older than Bernie rolleyes.gif

Tony Bray (912 barf.gif Club) organized the Temecula (North County Runs), but he's a weenie and hangs out on PP.

Red Beard organized the border crossing and his 4th attempt died a lonely death.

Dr. Evil tried to do one prior to his departure, but he never had a car that would run.

Next........................

Those of you in South County will just have to join the nose bugger pickin' Corona/OC guys...but no of those has anything intelligent to talk about 'cept crusin' Corona and flip flops.

My two running Teeners are dead stock 2.0s...and I like 'em that way...haven't found a need for a peter extender yet.
brer
I'm interested in driving around. I'm also interested in fixing and talking about fixing my car.laugh.gif

I'm also interested in breakfast and coffee at The Big Kitchen on Sundays.
Maybe meet for coffee and see where it leads. Judy loves my car and will accomodate us anytime.
Worry about making it into a club later.

Oh yea, my car isn't running this weekend. sad.gif laugh.gif
Dr Evil
Don't be suck a punk ass SLITS mad.gif Not everyone knows that you only speak sarcastically rolleyes.gif

Fadler1, don't get discouraged. These things, like many in nature, are cyclical. We are getting new members down here weekly. You, Brer, and many lurkers. I wish you luck with it, but not too much as I do not want to be made jealous because I am leaving.
fadler1
Too bad you are leaving town. You sound like a reasonable guy. I will keep at it and will wait for a little while before starting to confirm with those interested in meeting. While PCA is a great way to get a discount on my other car, 914's are an acquired taste. I actually have the window sticker from mine in Buena Park, $2795 plus $25 for the optional foot rest. I did the vinyl job since my first had it. Good luck at your new site. I think someone said Tejas. Just don't put a pair of long horns on the front of your 14..............................
fadler1
Hey Brer,
Lets see if some Saturday web surfers hop onto the idea. Where the devil is the Big Kitchen? I'm a North county guy by Miramar. Dieter's helped me to get mine running again. The darn MPS was shot and even after sending it to Jeff Bowlsby for recalibration, it was not right for the modifications that I had. I got a used VW one and Dieter's made it right. Yes it cost a little compared to what I paid for the car but it was beyond me.........................not it runs great.
brer
Sure, i'm game.

Big Kitchen is in South Park not far from me.
30th and Grape St.
Honest food served by the goddess of south park.

there is a big parking lot across the street if everyone wants to come along.
PM me when you feel up to it and we'll make it official.

DonTraver
Sounds like a good idea to me, count me in.

Later, Don
fadler15222
OK that's two.....................

Let me fish around this week and see if I can find a few more.

fadler15222
seanery
hey man, why do you have 2 log-ins?
bernbomb914
Talked to Brad R at qualcome sunday at the A/X where he was testing a 914 and he is interested and will help by word of mouth.

bernie
fadler15222
One of the oldest farts on the board is your tagline...........just how old?
fadler15222
I have two locations and this old fart gets confused with log ins..................that is why I have two. Also my son uses one of them from his remote since I have him on this car with PCA.

Fred Adler
San Diego

1972 914 1.7 (1976-1978)
1976 924 (1978-1987)
1978 924S (1987-1994)
1989 951 Turbo (1994-2001)
1989 Boxster (2001-)
1971 914 1.7 (2002-)
1977 MGB (2004-2005)
seanery
i was just curious as we have some members that have many log-ins only because they forget their password, etc...
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (fadler1 @ Jul 8 2005, 08:57 AM)
OK, I have had THIS 914 for a few years but I have owned Porsches since 1976.

One thing that seems obvious to me is that 914's and their owners break down into a couple of groups with different focuses. Some folks have them for nostalgia or an interest in "old" cars that were innovative (type 1) and other folks are purely into making the fastest roller skate in town for racing legally or illegally (type 2). I am appealing to group number one since PCA seems to take care of most of group number two.

I like mine and appreciate it as a great "old" car. I restored the one I have and drive it to feel good. I restored an MG after the 914 since I had one of those when I was kid also and found that the local (San Diego) MG club had a bunch of nice people to talk to and to drive on short runs with just to keep the carbon out . What is missing in 914's in San Diego is a local organization of the type 1 people who want to take for example the AAA "backroads San Diego" book and drive weekend 30-60 mile caravans to a restaurant en route and just talk and exchange "knowledge" on keeping these things running.

IS THERE ANYONE INTERESTED, if I start to make that move for "San Diego Region" 914 club? With the MG's, the group actually met at a Boll Weevil once a month and had a small newsletter and website. If there are a few people interested, I can email some of the "day trip" maps for San Diego and we can discuss a short drive and lunch on a weekend and maybe getting organized.

Anyone interested? I don't want to drive over to Arizona to do a Route 66 with that group. Frankly, the 914 isn't the most comfortable thing to drive long HOT distances and believe me in the '70's when you had a chance of a local repairing your breakdown it was still tough driving from Chicago (where I had my first one) to Dallas.

I am interested in afternoon runs and some socialization with people who don't own the "snob" Porsches but those who like having the VolksPorsche.

Let me know.

Fred Adler
San Diego
fadler@genbio.com confused24.gif confused24.gif

[QUOTE]One thing that seems obvious to me is that 914's and their owners break down in groups.

Why would anyone say such a thing? And being old isn't an excuse. biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
I'll help out as much as I can. I can show up typically to all the events. I see a lot of 914's down here, but I'm not sure if the know about this site.

I normally go into the shop Saturday mornings..so breakfast or lunches on the weekends is good for me.

I will say: I have NO clue on how to get around... so in saying that.. make damn sure you make it VERY easy for people to find these locations. Do a screen shot of a map and post it in the thread.. or let me know the exact location and I'll do it.

B
bernbomb914
This old fart was born on 10/15/1932.

Bernie
SLITS
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Jul 12 2005, 03:52 PM)

Bernie

And I thought that far back in time, it was called "immaculate conception"
JohnM
I'm interested in participating in San Diego 914club activities. I have gone on several OC 914 and 911 fun runs over the last year and love it. My "campaign" involves attending one fun run per month but Aaron hasn't been scheduling them very often like he used to. Heaven on earth to me is being on a twisty road looking at the back of a 914 in front of me and the front of one in the rear view! My days off rotate every couple of months so there may be times I can't do the weekend things like everyone else, but I will when I can or if there is enough lead time I can put in for a day off once in a while. BTW I drive the back roads at least once per week for pleasure on my days off so if you've go the time and want to drive with another 914 sometime PM me. Also I am a type 1 person as you describe but don't mind adding some select type 2 mods as long as it doesn't change the classic appearance or essence of the car. The things got to look right and drive like a devil. John
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jul 12 2005, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Jul 12 2005, 03:52 PM)

Bernie

And I thought that far back in time, it was called "immaculate conception"

419club.com - The latest and greatest news source on the planet. Completely biased and prejudicial

Slits, I was just wondering, did you start a new club, is the 419 a prototype? And I thought the 914 Club was, The latest and greatest news source on the planet.
fadler15222
Holy cow Bernie..............................good for you. Most of your cohorts are wearing jump suits and driving 1970's Olds 98's. I hope I keep my sanity the way you have. I thought the fifth decade was bad.................I started bonding to these old cars in the fourth decade.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.