Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who repairs stainless steel heat exchanger cracks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914xr75
I have a crack in my 1.7 stainless steel heat exchanger. I did a water test by plugging up the ends and one of my pipes in the right exchanger leaks out all the water from inside the stainless steel covering in about 15 second. Who fixes these things? Any idea how expensive a repair will be? Thanks in advance
GaroldShaffer
I have not heard of anyone fixing internal cracks. I know the early production ones have thin muffler flange area that will rust over time and someone was making replacement thicker flanges, but never seen internal cracks fixed.
bdstone914
@914xr75
' date='May 12 2020, 08:25 PM'
[/quote]
Is the crack in a visible location? I woyld be very onyeresyed in seeing the crack. I once had a pair that had cracks in the outer shells and the edges. I called SSI which was still un the U.S. The pair i had were very early set with no spot welds in between the tubes in the tubes. They also said they had a report of a tube crack and were changing to a fully annealed grade of 301 stainless.
I would scrap them. Even if you repair them more cracks could develop. Not worth the risk of CO poisening.
bretth
If it cracks from metal fatigue I don't think you can fix them. More welding will just make it even more brittle.
mb911
If they are back purged they can be fixed correctly.
914xr75
thanks everyone. You cannot see the crack because it is inside the shield. These are aftermarket exchangers not original. MB 911 could you explain what back purged means please? If I do scrap these I'll take the shield off and post a picture.
mb911
So as you know I make heat exchangers and am very familiar with stainless fabrication. Back purging means you block off both ends of the pipes then purge with Argon internally then weld external.. This will ensure no carbide precipitation and thus preventing another crack in the heat affected zone.
sixnotfour
$150 steel in Ca,
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=344752
MartyYeoman
Try Custom Exhaust Specialties in Bend Oregon. I know they have made such repairs in the past.

https://www.cesbend.com/contact-us
mepstein
I would just find a better pair. By the time you ship back and forth and pay for the repair, your at the cost of a better set.
914werke
I agree. if 2.0L it might give me pause but the 1.7-1.8L versions typically go for around 400. a pair used. If me Id drop the 150. on the OE pair to keep the car running & perhaps take your time scouring EBAY for a single.
mb911
QUOTE(914werke @ May 13 2020, 11:17 AM) *

I agree. if 2.0L it might give me pause but the 1.7-1.8L versions typically go for around 400. a pair used. If me Id drop the 150. on the OE pair to keep the car running & perhaps take your time scouring EBAY for a single.

agree.gif

Besides not to brag but if you look at my skill set I would typically offer to weld these up and not jumping on this.. If you sent them to me I would charge 150 ish for the repair and a written disclaimer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.