Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RWB, for those that have always wondered ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
Being a curious viewer of all things automotive on media, I've always wondered about the RWB builds going on Worldwide. You never really get to see the entire vids, especially the sawzall scenes.They edit their vids showing panels being glued/ riveted on, their fearless leader chain smoking, signing the inside of the front hood with a sharpie...but never the actual cutting. So why do people take perfect condition 911's and put these aesthetics onto the bodies in this savage manner ? On today's drive into the shop I was treated to an RWB (sans qtr panel + fender) visible from the Blvd...snapped these pics. Don't get me wrong, not against "Thinking out of the box" BUT the prep work involved (RWB) in my opinion is a huge de-value of a fine sportscar.

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Rough World Indeed...

Click to view attachment
mooty
u are not alone. I do not understand it either
Andyrew
I saw it once in a documentary. It was about the most crude cuts ever... He didn't care at all to follow any lines or clean things up. It was literally, zip zap done. Lost any and all respect for the dude then...

A SEMA like attitude towards getting the car done.
911GT2
I don't care how it was created. I think they all look like post-2-1117899824.gif afterwards.

I don't understand the RWB fascination...
preach
QUOTE(911GT2 @ May 13 2020, 06:05 AM) *

I don't understand the RWB fascination...

agree.gif
rjames
Hide Your Aircooled Porsches from RWB
BuddyV
Not my style..... but.....

Frustrates me ALMOST as much when I see a running car stuck on jacks in a garage space for 8 years while it is being carefully taken back to stock..... every nut and bolt... maybe BETTER than stock. Then, only driven lightly to local car shows.

….. there's something to be said for this RWB community for knowing what they like, doing the changes fast, and getting cars on the road.

Look at that rear tire..... WORN! (refreshing)

….. again, not my style. But as I grow older, I am admiring a driven car more than a perfect car.

(but keep that guy away from my 914!)
Larmo63
He seems to be a pretty cool cat, but it's his acolytes fawning all over him that make me want to hurl.
eric9144
RWB is the "Fast and Furious" of the 911 set, I think the build quality is in line with that crowd.

They're pretty over the top and definitely not for everyone but I can kind of appreciate that the owners typically are out there driving the $hit out of them...and that I can admire.
Superhawk996
I've noticed a trend over the last 15 years. The richer one is, they more they seek to take an item and intentionally make it ugly.

It's sort of like saying to the common folk, that yeah, I can afford nice things but I'm so well to do that I take pleasure in destroying them . . . just because I can.

I serve up the following as proof.

https://www.hotcars.com/18-car-mods-these-l...totally-regret/
horizontally-opposed
Those cuts are…r-o-u-g-h. blink.gif

I tend to view "other" expressions of the car hobby with affection. Lowriders aren't my thing. Ditto for Harleys, or Civics. But when one is done right, it cuts through. That's the thing about the hobby I like most. When something is right, it's right.
mepstein
Where’s the eye bleach?

I’ve seen videos of him coming to town, chain smoking and drinking coke while he cuts up the car and bolts on his fiberglass pieces and stickers. Looks like another bolt on glass kit for guys who want to stand out from the typical 934/RSR kit crowd. In my eyes it ruins the shape of the car but it’s the owners car to hack up any way they want. 20 years from now, we’ll buy them cheap and restore to stock. Just like the guys who front dated SWB to impact bumpers.
IronHillRestorations
I'm a "it's your car, do what makes you happy" kinda guy, but I've not seen anything RWB has done that makes it worth the hype. Kudos to the guy for creating a brand and a market, just not for me and no where close. I'm like: Singer= Saks 5th Ave; RWB= WalMart
914forme
confused24.gif You do realize the the 914 went through the same period getting cut up for Chalons, Eagles, Mitcoms, AIR Bond Build, etc.... Hell even a few 9014s.

I could even say it about all the 914 GT and 471 builds going on. bit of a blur line, but where do you draw the line.

I remember a Chalon build in VW Porsche back I the 80s that showed a sawzall-smiley.gif cut for fenders and the like.

RWB will live on forever, just like it came from a world of modifying cars, you do not have to like, you just know it is part of the car culture. It will just become something else, and well that is fine and cool.

I laugh every time I hear Dave Kindig say the 90s called and they want their billet back. We (Kindigit) make timeless designs, in 20 years, the next middle aged man, with what ever hair style the kids are wearing will look at the same car, and go, hey the 2010s called and they want their LS swap back.

It is all hot rodding in some way shape or form. Might not be your thing, but then we have all done it to some degree to our own cars. Sorry to beat you over the head with a reality stick, and well, I type these thousands of times a day and normally delate them, but this one just struck a deep wide nerve.

So do you look at Rod Emory the same way? Gunther Werks, RUF, Canpea, Singer and all the other shops out there doing their thing? The build quality might be better, but they all started somewhere, and each person has grown their craft and talent team.

Superhawk996
QUOTE(914forme @ May 13 2020, 01:09 PM) *

confused24.gif You do realize the the 914 went through the same period getting cut up for Chalons, Eagles, Mitcoms, AIR Bond Build, etc.... Hell even a few 9014s.

What do you mean by the past tense of went? lol-2.gif

Still going on.

Subaru's, LS motors, heck someone on here has a diesel 914 that looks pretty nice. Sheridan bodies are still out there as are Chalon's.

I'm guilty with a /6 conversion as a work in progress that that came to me as a 914/4 with the cheapo wide body fiberglass flares. wacko.gif

I just don't think I see people here intentionally going for Fugly inorder to draw attention to a 914. But, you are completely correct -- to each his own. confused24.gif
sixnotfour
My Dad...ya thats red lead bouy paint.. 52 m38a1.. beer.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 13 2020, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ May 13 2020, 01:09 PM) *

What do you mean by the past tense of went? lol-2.gif

Still going on.

Subaru's, LS motors, heck someone on here has a diesel 914 that looks pretty nice. Sheridan bodies are still out there as are Chalon's.

I'm guilty with a /6 conversion that came to me with the cheapo wide body fiberglass flares. wacko.gif

I just don't think I see people here intentionally going for Fugly inorder to draw attention to a 914. But, you are completely correct -- to each his own. confused24.gif

Ha. You are both right. And when it comes to style, many RWB cars > most 914 body kits. RWB vs Chalon? RWB vs 9014? Hmm, let me think about that… av-943.gif

And I bet the quality under a lot of Chalons and 9014s isn't exactly inspiring.

Some (most?) RWB cars are too over the top for me, but I can say the same for a lot of the "accepted" builders' projects. Those that stay truer to the 964 RSR 3.8 and 993 GT2 vibe that I suspect inspired Nakai in the first place don't look bad to me at all. Some even look good to these eyes. (There, I said it.) Thing I see with the RWB cars is that many are a lot of bark and not much bite (stock 3.6 NA engines, and at least one with a Tiptronic transmission). With those huge tires. And the apparent build quality is another matter.

I like a RSR 3.8 or GT2, or F40 LM or 288 GTO for that matter, but I've always had a bigger thing for sleepers.
914forme
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 13 2020, 11:29 AM) *

I've noticed a trend over the last 15 years. The richer one is, they more they seek to take an item and intentionally make it ugly.

It's sort of like saying to the common folk, that yeah, I can afford nice things but I'm so well to do that I take pleasure in destroying them . . . just because I can.

I serve up the following as proof.

https://www.hotcars.com/18-car-mods-these-l...totally-regret/

Money only amplifies who you are. I am guessing these same people would do the same mods to a beater and think it was cool. Money only allowed them to up their game. Again each their own, and I just let them be, don't need to understand it, just understand it might not be my thing. Just like I might or might not like their music, but being a musician, I understand each is an art form in its own right.

Lets take a song for example. You might like What a Wonderful World by Lois Armstrong, and I will say that the Clarks or Joey Ramone did a better version. I really do like Joey Ramone's version better, but that is just me. Upbeat driving punk style, heck yeah. aktion035.gif
JamesM
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 13 2020, 09:36 AM) *

Ha. You are both right. And when it comes to style, many RWB cars > most 914 body kits. RWB vs Chalon? RWB vs 9014? Hmm, let me think about that… av-943.gif

Thats the thing about trends, they come and then they go. Styling that people thought was the bomb in the 70s and 80s many see as trash now, a running joke, poor wasted cars. I think many don't necessarily find the look of these RWB cars unappealing at the moment, they just realize it isnt a look that will age well at all at which point you have basically just ruined a Porsche.

Lets face it, this is no longer a Porsche design, its some 12 year olds wet dream.
AZBanks
RWB > 1986 Gemballa Avalanche
pete000
They call it art...
Larmo63
I'm a dork, I like 'em! Would I own one? Hmmmm...?

Take a look......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sCUZwQoEQ
SirAndy
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 13 2020, 06:38 PM) *

unsure.gif
mepstein
If I didn't know how much it cost, I would assume a 17 year old boy was behind the wheel.
RickS
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 13 2020, 06:38 PM) *

I'm a dork, I like 'em! Would I own one? Hmmmm...?

Take a look......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8sCUZwQoEQ

Looks like a cult scene.
Larmo63
I want the T-shirt at least........?
abes914
They do drive it like it is meant to be and not trailer queens. Members are also welcome to join their I believe annual races in japan. Not my cup of tea but I dig it—-sometimes
914forme
QUOTE(AZBanks @ May 13 2020, 04:55 PM) *

RWB > 1986 Gemballa Avalanche

I forgot about Gemnalla, it was so good even had model kits made of it.

Front yard mechanic
Next time I need my house Windows caulked I know who to call
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ May 14 2020, 05:33 AM) *

Next time I need my house Windows caulked I know who to call

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

One of my local client's shops specializes in Air Cooled Porsches/ vintage Alfa Romeos has his own style of canyon racer. He's a former Singer tech that jumped ship, and his shop can tune, maintain, or build awesome 1-off cars for his customers.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
...nothing here to see on the license plate aktion035.gif
rgalla9146
This is in the tradition of real "Hot Rod" builders of .......name your location.
In this case ....Japan
Professional car destroyers.
Only reedeming traits are that they perform and at least some are driven.
type2man
It's built... it cost about 40K.... and it adds about 80k in value. People want it done. Some rip the streets here in Miami and some just store them....And just like the emory benton, singer, and a few others, I dont think it will be a passing phase, they will always be worth money!
bkrantz
Face it, for some people its all about the "brand", that means image and personality can count for much more than the car itself. Porsche does this with much of their new sales market.
bkrantz
Face it, for some people its all about the "brand", that means image and personality can count for much more than the car itself. Porsche does this with much of their new sales market.
raynekat
It's all in the freaking caulking I'm telling you.
And the finger that wipes it off.
Also loving the spray can in the fender wells.

To me this is just like the Emperor has no clothes.
You're sitting around naked (and looking like wth?) but all your friends are telling you how great you (or your car) look.

Not for me.
tom.esh
At least they don't have to worry about a door ding in the fender. It's sort of like a rat rod, all kinds of crazy ideas. As long as they enjoy it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.