Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Source for new rear window w/elec. defogger?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rog914
Title says it all. Dose anybody know where I can get a new rear window w/electric defogger?

Ralph

74 2.0
SLITS
Try the J.C Whitney catalogs...somebody makes a stick on stencil.

OR

Find one of those "RARE" heated rearwindows used (hopefully, it will still work).
SGB
my defogger was crapped out when I got the car in '89. When the window was out, I called a couple of places in the ph book that offered the installation of RW defoggers as a service. One of 'em sold me some "scrap element" for like $10.00 that was more'n'enough to do the 914. I think JCW also has the same stuff. This aftermarket stuff isn't as thin as the embedded wires though.
Mark Henry
almost every teen sold here had 'em wink.gif
bondo
I'm looking for one too, I have a clear one to trade. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bondo @ Jul 8 2005, 01:51 PM)
I'm looking for one too, I have a clear one to trade. smile.gif

i got mine from canada....
airsix
Every Washington State 914 I've seen has a rear-window defoger. Granted I live on the East side - can't speak for the Seattle-area crowd.

-Ben M.
iamchappy
I have had one in my car for 32 years in Minnesota and never needed it . The rear windows dont fog up.
Bleyseng
I turned the one on mine into a radio antenna....
Rand
Genius Geoff!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

My rear window with defroster is out of the car until I repaint. Boy does it sound great with the window out! I would be willing to trade someone for a clear one and a beer... at least locally - I'm not sure about shipping one.
bd1308
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Jul 8 2005, 03:54 PM)
I have had one in my car for 32 years in Minnesota and never needed it . The rear windows dont fog up.

yeah I need a front window defogger.......
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rand @ Jul 8 2005, 04:33 PM)

My rear window with defroster is out of the car until I repaint. Boy does it sound great with the window out! I would be willing to trade someone for a clear one and a beer... at least locally - I'm not sure about shipping one.

can i buy the switch?

AA
Rand
Hey Aaron,
I was thinking about using the switch for something else, but you could probably twist my arm...
Lemme think about it. If I don't use it I'll just ship it to you.
Aaron Cox
like driving lights or something?

worst case scenario - could i buy the switch insert from you (the thing in the knob) wink.gif
Rand
PM me your address and I'll mail it.

Bleyseng
Ya, it works good too. I get all kinds of stations including Redshift 123.4 outta Savannah Georgia. Pretty wierd radio so I might need to wear my foil hat to interfer with the aliens.
bondo
QUOTE (Rand @ Jul 8 2005, 04:33 PM)

Here's a thought.. I'll build a crate to ship a rear window.. well padded. I'll send you mine, you can send the defrost one back in the same crate. I'll cover shipping both ways, plus enough for your favorite beer. beerchug.gif
Rand
Ok Royce... as long as you don't need the switch! laugh.gif

The only concern I have is... I never actually used it, so I don't know if it works. It would suck to go through all that and find out it doesn't work... Maybe I can hook it up and test it. In the mean time I'll take some photos and PM you if you want.
bondo
I already have the switch. smile.gif I don't need pics. As far as testing goes, just measure the resistance. It'll either be low (good) or high (bad).
Engman
smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks guys! Love to see this type of interaction!

M
Rand
Cool Engman!! BTW, I'm anxiously awaiting the day I get to order your stiffy kit! smile.gif

Hey Bondo.... is your avatar making reference to Val Kilmer's words in "Real Genius?" Classic.
Engman
Seeing this cheered up what was a really crappy day!

I know now why this place is so addictive....

M
Rand
Hold off on building that crate Royce...
Resistance is 14.5 ohms.
The connectors are bad - one is bent, the other is missing. sad.gif
Can new ones be soldered on? I don't know if you wanna deal with it. Here's what they look like:

user posted image

user posted image
Bleyseng
I soldered on new connectors and I get great radio reception now! wink.gif
bondo
Soldering on new connectors is no problem for me. 14.5 ohms is good. That's 200 watts at 13.8v. As long as you still want to make the trade, it's good enough for me. Just tell me where to ship my clear one.

And yes, Real Genius.

I wub.gif toxic waste
Rand
I PMed you my address.
bondo
It took me FOREVER to build the crate and get mine shipped out, but Rand swapped the glass and got his back to me lickety split! And that's after he went a couple months with no rear window!

Rand is one stand up guy! smilie_pokal.gif

"I just love it when a plan comes together!" -Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith

P.S. If anyone needs a custom fit reusable rear window shipping crate that's worked twice with fedex ground, let me know. (Not sure it would hold up to the elephants at UPS though)
Rand
Thanks Royce. That was a fun trade. Nice job on the crate!

I actually enjoyed my time with no rear window.... except when I tried to order food at the drive through and couldn't hear their speaker over the noise. laugh.gif Good thing they have those screens... When you see what you ordered on the screen, you yell out.... "yeah, that's everything" and pull forward hoping they weren't asking something about hot sauce. laugh.gif

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.