Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got new tires...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Just put on a new set of Kumho's KH11's (195-65). The guy who put them on air'd them up to 33psi each. Just drove home and they are very loose and swishy. I am thinking way underflated.

They are rated at 51psi max, but is there a rule of thumb I should go buy?

Or just keep adding air till I am happy?

oh yea , mainly street driving for now..... wink.gif

thanks in advance

beer.gif
ArtechnikA
give them a bit of time.

probably what you're feeling now is 1) mold-release compound that takes a couple of heat cycles to purge out and 2) tread squirm. almost any new tire is going to feel a little more squirrely than nearly worn old tires.

IIRC my ES-100's are rated about the same MCIP and i run about 45 psi in them. 2 years on them now and showing even treadwear... you might be able to run a bit more air than 33.

give them some driving to get the mold-release off, then try 40 and see how it feels.
messix
i have 195 55 kuhmos and i run mine at 27 in front and 29 in rear [for the street] and they stick like stink.

33 psi on a 2000lb car is alot. max psi on the tire is for max rated load on the tire. more pressure wont give you more grip. even though the tire feels like its "swishy" on turn in more pressure wont help with max grip, it will just make turn in more responsive.

phantom914
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Jul 8 2005, 09:52 AM)

.......but is there a rule of thumb I should go buy?

Some tires will always feel squishy. Yokohama ES-100's always felt squishy to me on my car (not 914). I have no experience with your model tire however.

If it is just new tire squirm, it will go away within a few hundred miles in my experience. Try upping the pressure anyway to see what happens.

Oh, and you should never have to pay for a rule of thumb. wink.gif

Andrew
jr91472
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Jul 8 2005, 10:10 AM)

Oh, and you should never have to pay for a rule of thumb. wink.gif

Andrew

pardon the pun....sometime I "tire" of this site chairfall.gif

thanks for the help everyone beer.gif
Andyrew
I had 27 on the fronts with 29 on the backs of my kumho's...

Then I ran 27's on the front with 33's on the back with the sbc... had to give it some more bite... werked good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.