Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Actuactor Arm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
I'm in the process of trying to clean up / resto the headlights and headlight carriers on my '75 project car. Took one apart, treated the rust, and hit it with the gray paint. I order the rebuild kit from 914 Rubber. In looking at the driver's and passenger's side assemblies there's a difference I can't figure out, specifically with how the actuator arm is retained on the pin.

On the LEFT in the pic below, I've pointed to the assembly pin that has a hole in it (dark pic, sorry). A washer slides on the pin and a cotter pin goes through that hole to hold the washer and arm in place. The assembly on the RIGHT has no hole in the pin for a cotter to go through. So how is it held on? I took these apart so long ago I can't remember what was on there or why these were different.

Also, is it supposed to be one spring holding the carrier on the assembly or two?

TIA
Click to view attachment
914e
My later model ones do not have a cotter pin, I don't know if the early models did.

The slot in the body the arm goes though keeps it in place. You have to flex the arm to get it on the peg.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(914e @ May 13 2020, 05:56 PM) *

My later model ones do not have a cotter pin, I don't know if the early models did.

The slot in the body the arm goes though keeps it in place. You have to flex the arm to get it on the peg.

Ok, this may make sense. I may have one early / one late assembly. The one without the hole for the cotter pin had a metal actuator arm and the other one had a plastic arm.
bdstone914
I have never seen a hole for a cotter pin on any cars. The other end of the arm is held on with an E clip. The end on the headlight housing cant go anywhere and needs no retension.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 13 2020, 07:28 PM) *

I have never seen a hole for a cotter pin on any cars. The other end of the arm is held on with an E clip. The end on the headlight housing cant go anywhere and needs no retension.

That's interesting. So I wonder how that hole ended up on the one on the left confused24.gif

Good to know though. No retaining device needed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.