Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can one lengthen the wires for six alternator?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
OK, truth is, I am working on the 911. Still, I wonder if you cannot lengthen the wires to the alternator so that it is easier to pull the assembly out of the shroud. It seems like my life would be easier if the wires weren’t so gosh durn tight. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Warren
Dave_Darling
You can lengthen the wires by splicing. I don't think that's a good idea, mostly because it introduces more possible failure points, even if you do the work well.

If you pull the alternator apart, you may find a plug that you can unplug. If not, the wires are likely soldered onto some pads or tabs internally. Either way, you can remove the wires, get new longer ones (please use the correct colors!!) and install them in place of the shorter ones. You'll need new terminals for one or both ends.

Or maybe ask Jeff Bowlsby if he would build an alternator harness to your spec.

--DD
johnhora
there is a ground wire strap that is connected to the engine case that is short and holds the alt tight in the shroud....disconnect and can move forward
also the rubber grommet in the shroud where the wires go thru will restrict movement...lube it up with vinyl spray to help slide..

rgalla9146
I've often wondered why they didn't put a male/female harness connector outside the
grommit in the fiberglass.
Maybe consider doing so instead of lengthning ?
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 14 2020, 05:40 PM) *

I've often wondered why they didn't put a male/female harness connector outside the
grommit in the fiberglass.
Maybe consider doing so instead of lengthning ?

A harness connector and a 2 piece fiberglass shroud (964 style) would make it much easer to service a 914-6.
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 14 2020, 10:47 AM) *

You can lengthen the wires by splicing. I don't think that's a good idea, mostly because it introduces more possible failure points, even if you do the work well.

If you pull the alternator apart, you may find a plug that you can unplug. If not, the wires are likely soldered onto some pads or tabs internally. Either way, you can remove the wires, get new longer ones (please use the correct colors!!) and install them in place of the shorter ones. You'll need new terminals for one or both ends.

Or maybe ask Jeff Bowlsby if he would build an alternator harness to your spec.

--DD

Wouldn’t even think about using the wrong colors, nor would I likely splice. It would be longer wires with proper gauge and color, although a connector would be sweet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.