Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wits end...again.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tjmrfe
Ok,
Thanks in advance,
Changed my oil seals on my push rod tubes, with help fro y’all. So, I go to put the rockers back on...and strip my studs trying to put18 ft lbs of torque on them! (As per my “ how to rebuild your type 4 “ book, by Tom Wilson. So far he hasn’t lied to me...so, this happens to 3! Damn, so I order them from AA. And, wouldn’t ya know it. Trying to tighten on the studs AGAIN! I strip em. So, now I’m pisssed....now...I found a blog in samba, saying that 18 is way too much, so....I ordered another set from AA and lo and behold they stripped again with only 11 ft lbs..... I’m not doing well here.
Ready to scream...louder....
Has any one else had this? What am I doing wrong? Thank you again....
BPic
Damn! That sucks and I feel for ya. I can't help but will follow this to learn. Good luck.
bretth
If you are talking about the rocker studs that mount to the head then you probably need to put in something like a thread cert. Once that aluminum head material is stripped with the steel stud threads they are no good any more. Will need to drill for thread cert or similar.
914werke
& if you are going to this extent upgrade to 8mm step studs, no more wimpy 11mm fasteners.
porschetub
Used 9ft/lbs on last build and that was using the heavy 8mm studs for alloy valve covers.
TBO even that felt pretty firm.
As mentioned you only fix is to fit thread inserts or helicoils,would pay to check the others,it gets messy when rocker gear comes loose sad.gif .
Nogoodwithusernames
Are your aluminum heads stripped or are the studs themselves stripping where the little nut holds the rocker shaft?

If the stud itself is stripping bump up to the 8mm heavy duty studs from the T4 Store (LN engineering) vs the stock 7mm stud.
type2man
18 lbs is a lot. Is that what the book says?
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ May 14 2020, 12:58 PM) *

Are your aluminum heads stripped or are the studs themselves stripping where the little nut holds the rocker shaft?

If the stud itself is stripping bump up to the 8mm heavy duty studs from the T4 Store (LN engineering) vs the stock 7mm stud.

Thanks, yes the studs themselves, not the threads in the head ( thank God) so, that’s who I’ll try for the next round...thank you.
Tjmrfe
QUOTE(type2man @ May 14 2020, 02:17 PM) *

18 lbs is a lot. Is that what the book says?

Well the book I have, lol. I thought so too. Have since heard that’s for a type one...this book deals with all three types.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.