Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans fluid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flat4guy
After recently purchasing our 914 it dawned on me that the car has been sitting for 6 years, is it a good idea to change the trans fluid? I do not see any receipts for one in the past. If so is it pretty easy? Also what is the best fluid to run? Red Line, etc.... Thank you.
mepstein
Just the regular cheap stuff. Synthetic isn’t good for the synchros.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 15 2020, 11:45 AM) *

Just the regular cheap stuff. Synthetic isn’t good for the synchros.

agree.gif and many don't know that Mark,its the design of the trans,porsche developed this system WAY back,never heard if Swepco works in ours transmissions but appears many have had results with the 911 box,should be the same right ? considering they are similar.
Any good old stinking 80/90 is the way to go,many folks think the trans oil lasts for ever ...not true .
Krieger
Sta Lube works great!
BENBRO02
I had someone else change my fluid before I drove to the Werks Reunion and they used Swepco. It doesn't shift as well as it did before the change. I need to change it again and put the cheap stuff back in.
pilothyer
QUOTE(flat4guy @ May 14 2020, 06:42 PM) *

After recently purchasing our 914 it dawned on me that the car has been sitting for 6 years, is it a good idea to change the trans fluid? I do not see any receipts for one in the past. If so is it pretty easy? Also what is the best fluid to run? Red Line, etc.... Thank you.

As long as it is GL5 80/90 you are good no matter how cheap it is. You certainly don't want anything rated for limited slip. GL5 ONLY !!
mlindner
Also, before draining, make sure you can get the fill nut open. I think its a 17mm allen. Best, Mark
flat4guy
Thanks for all the advice.
Dr Evil
For more musings on 901 oil and such, please check my signature below for my 31 pages of notes, oil section. Regular 80w90 GL5 cheap stuff, change every year unless you drive hard and a lot, then change sooner. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.