Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I have my cold start injector working?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gturner008
It’s me again! Newbie.

I’m almost there now, getting the 76 running sweetly. I’ve noticed on cold start, on a warm (ish) day at 10c, car starts perfectly. But immediately idles smoothly at 1000 rpm.

It does not run at 1500 rpm - as I would have thought. Then as it gets warm, dropping to 950 rpm.

Does it sound like the system for cold start isn’t working? Anything to check or anything obvious I need to check? Cheers. Gary
ndfrigi
I think your cold start is working well if you can start the engine with just turning the key. Your issue maybe the AAR that is supposed to be open when cold so it will get more air that makes the idle higher then when it is getting warm, the AAR will close and less air goes to the intake and drops the idle.
gturner008
Many thanks.

The AAR is now functioning perfectly. It was open, but didn’t quite close all the way when warm. Took it off, cleaning and oiled, now it closes up perfectly.

G
BeatNavy
Cold start is only supposed to come into play when the weather is sub 40 degrees (roughly). It's not even a variable above that, so that's not the issue.

You can chase that perfect startup and idle for years (BTDT). It's not BAD to try to catch the perfect (idle) wave, but it can become a fleeting obsession. Or shoot for what makes good startup and drivability.

My pet peeve on D-Jet eventually was limited to warm starts, like after running into a convenience store for 5 minutes. Had to feather the throttle for about 60 seconds after a warm start to keep it from stalling, then things were good. Eventually that got solved by some combination of hi-torque starter, 1-2-3 distributor, and playing with idle settings.
gturner008
Thanks. That’s great advice.

I’m getting obsessive about idle!

I’m very happy - it just idles at 1000 rpm. I’ve tried timing by ear - twisting the distributor. I’ll need to get it set properly. Tried ECU, and just put it back to where I found it.

So you are right. Enjoy and drive...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.