Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Baumgardner
Can anyone help me with identifying this model Porsche 914? I drove this car back in the 70's (wife made me dispose of it when we had kids to get a "family" car in 1979) sad.gif This picture from back then is the only one I have. I'm looking to buy a 914 now that I'm retired to toy around with, but I'm very curious what model I had back then. Don't know if there is enough shown in the picture to take a guess on model year, but I'd really appreciate it if those more knowledgeable than me could take a shot at identifying? Thank you.

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Guessing games can be fun.

Painted bumpers and no Targa vinyl means no appearance group option. It does not have the front bumper guards from 1973/74 unless they were removed. 8 slot steel wheels are the standard wheel and indicates its a 4 cylinder. Its a US car, not a european market car because of the sidemarker lights.

The 914 paint color chart (chart colors depicted are not accurate) is here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

The paint looks like it could be Irish Green, a very nice and sought after color.

I will suggest it was a basic, limited to no option 1970-72, 1.7L 914/4. It would have been fuel injected (D-Jet), and a 5 speed tailshifter transaxle. If you are buying one, find a 2.0L if you can, but condition is by far more important than anything else. Especially avoid a rust bucket and become informed on how to inspect critical areas for rust.

Welcome back to 914s!
Beeliner
The car looks to be like my '71'.
The other model looks to be a 5'7"... Low mileage--- good body
Baumgardner
Thanks so much for taking a shot at this Jeff - very helpful. And I have been learning a lot here and have talked with a few restorers so I'm beginning to get a good understanding of rust issues to look for. I rarely see 914s in my area (Cincinnati), so I'm usually trying to evaluate based on pictures, but not much getting around that I guess.
Baumgardner
Thanks Beeliner. And FYI, the girl model is 5' 7". Been married to her for 42 years now, but it still pisses me off she made me sell my 914. smile.gif
Coondog
If you are still married to her you might want to consider getting a divorce before you buy another 914.

Once bitten, twice shy.......just saynnnn.... av-943.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Do you recall if the passengers' seat was fixed or adjustable as was the drivers' seat. If that seat was non-adjustable, your car would be a '70 or '71.

Also, when did you buy that car? I had a friend back in 1975 who drove an Irish Green 914/4 and lived in the Forest Park community of Cincinnati back then.

Lastly, did you buy that 914 from a private owner or from one of the two PORSCHE dealerships in Cincinnati, or from a used car dealer like "Rallye Motors" in Cincinnati?

Paul Naberhaus
Baumgardner
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 16 2020, 01:10 PM) *

Do you recall if the passengers' seat was fixed or adjustable as was the drivers' seat. If that seat was non-adjustable, your car would be a '70 or '71.

Also, when did you buy that car? I had a friend back in 1975 who drove an Irish Green 914/4 and lived in the Forest Park community of Cincinnati back then.

Lastly, did you buy that 914 from a private owner or from one of the two PORSCHE dealerships in Cincinnati, or from a used car dealer like "Rallye Motors" in Cincinnati?

Paul Naberhaus

Hi Paul, it's been a long time but I "think" it was fixed... That's a great tip (if my memory was better.) smile.gif I bought the car about 1976 or so. I was in college at the time, but at Ohio State in Columbus. I bought it from a private owner. Thanks.
Baumgardner
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 16 2020, 12:58 PM) *

If you are still married to her you might want to consider getting a divorce before you buy another 914.

Once bitten, twice shy.......just saynnnn.... av-943.gif

I hear ya, and she does have a lot of miles, but doubt I could find anyone else who would put with me. sad.gif
FlacaProductions
Mine is just west of Cincinnati in Batesville, IN - but I'm not, unfortunately. Check with www.metalkraftcoachwerkes.com in Cincinnati to see if they have any lines on area cars that are available. You could also reach out to Brent Fagan - OVRPCA@live.com - he's tapped into the Porsche-ness in the area and has a couple 914's of his own - sometimes he has stuff for sale or knows about stuff for sale...
Baumgardner
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ May 16 2020, 01:40 PM) *

Mine is just west of Cincinnati in Batesville, IN - but I'm not, unfortunately. Check with www.metalkraftcoachwerkes.com in Cincinnati to see if they have any lines on area cars that are available. You could also reach out to Brent Fagan - OVRPCA@live.com - he's tapped into the Porsche-ness in the area and has a couple 914's of his own - sometimes he has stuff for sale or knows about stuff for sale...

Thanks Brian. I appreciate the leads. I will reach out to them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.