Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need software/data conversion help for the 901 DVD set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I recently bought video plans to build a vapor blast cabinet off of a site called Gumroad. It was pretty easy. I have had issue with selling the DVD at times getting it to foreign places with ease and for a reasonable shipping price, so digital sales was always a desire. I have never been able to get the data off of the DVDs to copy digitally and I am not savvy on how to go about reformatting the data so I can upload. Here is what I know:

There are two DVDs. Each DVD, when I open it on my PC and do not let it autoplay has two folders in it; Audio_TS and Video_TS. Opening up either folder leads to large amounts of files with extensions I am not familiar with; _TS, .BUP, .IFO, and some alphanumeric dash something-or-others.

Since the beginning, I have only been able to save these two folders and have had to use various burning software to copy them. The burning software didnt ever seem to care that I click on the Video or the Audio_TS and would start and complete its actions without issue. Now, I am trying to upload this data to the Gumroad site so I can sell digitally and it will not just accept this format, it wont upload the folders but will upload the files. I do not think that will work for anyone, though.

TL;DR - I need to convert the data on my DVD set to a file type that I can upload to Gumroad and that people could then click on and it would just play. HELP!
Chris914n6
You need dvd ripping software. I don't think any of it is technically legal though.

But don't you have the original recordings? Those should be in a standard digital format and I would believe the editing software should be able to output an avi or mp4.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 16 2020, 02:21 PM) *

You need dvd ripping software. I don't think any of it is technically legal though.

But don't you have the original recordings? Those should be in a standard digital format and I would believe the editing software should be able to output an avi or mp4.

Nope, the set is like 11 yrs of at this time and Eric (CupOMeat) wasn’t able to find the original format last time I had him look a while ago. All I have is one of the original copies. We own the rights so burning it is not illegal, if that is what I have to do. I had been using a 5 disk burner and it just copies it, can’t be more illegal than that (ie, not illegal single rights are owned). Open to suggestions on software, even if you have never used and only heard about it from a “friend”. wink.gif
904svo
Check out this software
https://videoconverter.iskysoft.com/convert...ifo-to-mp4.html
Dr Evil
QUOTE(904svo @ May 16 2020, 02:46 PM) *

Thank you! Using this software I converted all files to MP4 and can now sell the DVD info cheaper and easier for others.

https://gumroad.com/l/QmTqn
Dr Evil
Spoke too soon. The software is not converting the complete files. Many are truncated and I dont know why. The input says big number MB, the output says M4P smaller MB, but still big number, but the file on my computer is small and lasting seconds rather than minutes. I thought it was too easy.
bretth
My first thought is that you can rip each disk into one large .iso image file and distribute those files. Any burner software will be able to burn these back into a disk for your customers to do themselves. Some good programs (in Linux OS at least) will even just mount and read the iso files as a virtual CD/DVD without even needing a DVD drive.
campbellcj
There is free open source that does this too - I use something called Handbrake which is very powerful
914forme
Handbreak does not work on the DVD either, I tried a long time ago for personal use. Not stealing intellectual Property, just wanted a easier format for me to use in the shop, and on my Apple Products, which said bye to the slot a long time ago.

I hope you get it nailed, as I will gladly pony up for the digital version.
904svo
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 18 2020, 04:46 AM) *

Spoke too soon. The software is not converting the complete files. Many are truncated and I dont know why. The input says big number MB, the output says M4P smaller MB, but still big number, but the file on my computer is small and lasting seconds rather than minutes. I thought it was too easy.

Try this, copy each file to a spare file then convert it, do this for each file. It sounds like the files are being truncated during the conversion making them too large
Dr Evil
After several issues, I was able to directly convert the VOB files to MP4 and upload them. All 20 files are uploaded and ready. First sale was to the UK smile.gif
904svo
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 18 2020, 05:08 PM) *

After several issues, I was able to directly convert the VOB files to MP4 and upload them. All 20 files are uploaded and ready. First sale was to the UK smile.gif

How about adding 901/902/911 transmission rebuild video supplement also.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(904svo @ May 18 2020, 10:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 18 2020, 05:08 PM) *

How about adding 901/902/911 transmission rebuild video supplement also.

The DVD covers all 901 and variants from 1965-1976. Nothing special about the little differences. Thanks for all of the help, confirmed first successful purchase, download and viewing in the UK today! I’ll post separate post about it as many will skip this one as it seems boring and computer related wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.