Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High speed vibration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtc911
Went on a nice drive today. Had some higher speed portions on interstate.

Got some pretty good vibration in steering wheel above 80 - super smooth below that.

I have

New tires
New wheels (balanced at shop w/new tires)
*not high speed balance but balanced *
New rotors and brakes
New wheel bearings
Turbo tie rods (new)

What component should I check next?

I have new control arm bushings that I haven’t installed yet.

Thanks.
914 RZ-1
When I replaced my front strut inserts, it stopped the vibration I had.
burton73
Is you steering wheel tight. No wiggle from side to side or up down?

Bob B
Superhawk996
Excluding any loose / worn component contiributions (like strut inserts)

1) Turbo Tie Rods are going to transmit more "feel"; that is what they do.

2) Have the wheel/tires "balanced" at a tire shop that has a Hunter Road Force balance machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WpNsa3bFhU

Find a shop that has a Hunter Road Force Machine, it matters. Typical dynamic balancing is not good enough. Video attached so you know what it looks like. Insist upon seeing that it is a road force machine.

Beyond static/dynamic balance, tires have a varying pneumatic spring effect that is inherent in the constrution of the tire. The technical term is radial harmonics. Radial 1st harmonic is usually the troublemaker. Due to the speeed being 80(ish) it would likely be a radial 1st harmonic issue. Tell them the speed range you're seeing the issue at. They can balnce the wheel/tire assembly to help minimize the radial harmonic effects.

Tire radial harmonics interact with the resonant frequency of the suspension which is a spring, mass, damper system from a physics stand point. Every spring mass damper system has a resonant freqency and associated harmonics.

When the tire radial harmonics line up with the supension resonant frequencies, you will get a forced vibration issue as the two interact.
mtc911
Very informative. Thx
mtc911
New Control Arm Bushings, Lower Ball Joints - Adjusted ride height and DIY alignment - Really made a huge difference in the feel....
iankarr
Cool info, Superhawk!

How new are thw new tires? Flat spots can happen in a few months of garage sitting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.