Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TAIL SHIFTER UPGRADES
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OLAF
I'm happy with the results of the several year restoration on my '71 with 2 ltr implant.
Although I kept the Tail Shift tranny, I did install all new bushings and rebuilt the shift rod cage at the very end of the linkage, welding and filling the worn slot between the shift rod pinion and shift rod cage. All in all, I think the linkage transfer is as good as it can get. Nevertheless, the shifting is vague (I know, right?) with the weakest link when upshifting to 2nd or downshifting to 2nd.

Examination of the in cabin shifter, doesn't reveal any warn components or weak springs but it has an excessive amount of "slop" which (I presume) is mostly a function of its design from the factory...

You guys in this forum are so good at providing insight and knowledge that I look to you'all for direction.

I'm thinking that the Rennshift shifter upgrade will provide a tighter transfer of movement to the shifter linkage and ultimately to the transmission.

If not Rennshift, then what?

thanks guys

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mikey914
The springs in the sifter are replaceable.

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/s...911-912-and-914
Or you can go the rennshifter way. Just about how much you want to spend.
I have a 72 tail shift and it shifts as good as my side shift 75.
maf914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 18 2020, 11:58 AM) *

The springs in the sifter are replaceable.

https://900designs-container.zoeysite.com/s...911-912-and-914
Or you can go the rennshifter way. Just about how much you want to spend.
I have a 72 tail shift and it shifts as good as my side shift 75.

You could replace the old shift console springs with new for more resistance against the reverse/first gear motion. Weltmeister used to have a kit that added two extra springs that increased the force that pushed the shifter away from reverse/first gear to avoid hitting reverse when shifting from first to second or when down shifting into second. I installed one of the kits in the early 90's. It worked, sort of. If you do any thing with the shift console springs you will learn what a bitch they are to install. No joke. Pre internet days, I was on my own. It took me several hours and I was not happy. It will probably make you wish you had spent the money for a Rennshift. laugh.gif
mepstein
Replacing springs takes 10 minutes with a pair of vise grips, a Phillips screw driver, leather gloves and safety glasses. But the shifting is only good as the weakest link. Shifter, linkage and bushings and the trans. You need to make sure each component is in spec and working correctly or throwing parts at it will be expensive.
skaufmann
If you're getting all the gears but 2/3 are tough to find- if your stop plate is weak, replace the spring. If the stop plate is firm, it needs to be adjusted so slight pressure against the plate up to 2nd or down to 3rd is a straight direct shot. Once you can find 2/3 with confidence, all the other gears are just in the corners.
saigon71
I don't have any tailshifter experioence, but your car looks great. beerchug.gif
OLAF
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your comments. I'll take "baby steps" and replace the springs in the cabin shifter as has been suggested. If that doesn't improve the reliability of "finding second gear", then I guess my next step is to upgrade to the Rennshift shifter.

I'll buy the springs from Mickey @ 914 Rubber and post an update after the springs have been installed.

thanks guys,
Paul Burke
Olympic 914
Car looks good.

I like the seats.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.