Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rattle cans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Speedo
When we get done with the hell hole on my son's 914 we will want to touch up some areas. He is not in a position to currently spring for a repaint, so in the interim we will be using rattle cans on the affected areas. So two questions...what companies (Sherwin Williams, PPG etc) can do a decent job of matching the Porsche paint codes, and do they ship?
Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
1st time I got it from Eastwoods, but the 2nd time i called a local Autobody supply house and they sent it over the next day.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Speedo @ May 19 2020, 09:31 AM) *

When we get done with the hell hole on my son's 914 we will want to touch up some areas. He is not in a position to currently spring for a repaint, so in the interim we will be using rattle cans on the affected areas. So two questions...what companies (Sherwin Williams, PPG etc) can do a decent job of matching the Porsche paint codes, and do they ship?
Click to view attachment

PM me...

Send me a headlight cover, plus $30, I'll send you back TWO (2) Rattle cans that are color matched. Budget touch-up beerchug.gif

Oscar
Nogoodwithusernames
I've used APS Tower Paint in the past on my VW and Porsche with good success. Here is my trunk release bracket in the 914, not a great photo and the stock paint is a little dusty and dirty but it's a pretty close match.Click to view attachment
Jay Wellwood
Just for my own color testing for election, etc. (i.e., not as a direct touch up on previously painted surface) I have ordered numerous rattle cans in various hues from Paint Scratch. (https://www.paintscratch.com/)

They ship fairly quick, cost is $25/can for color matched to the original formula. You can also order other sizes of the touch up material (pens to gallon) for all your painting needs.

Note that with UV exposure and oxidation of the pigment - a direct match may be all but impossible.
mepstein
Our local auto paint shops will make them for you while you wait.
ndfrigi
how about “AutomotiveTouchup.com” I only used it for small repair and seems match to original color. Now I have a pint to paint my rear bumper for my boxster and would like to know your feedback before I prep and paint my bumper.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 19 2020, 02:18 PM) *

Our local auto paint shops will make them for you while you wait.

agree.gif
ClayPerrine
I used a couple cans of "Chevrolet Orange" engine paint to do the engine compartment on Betty's 914 years ago (74 Phoenix Red). It was still like that when it got hit. Guess it will be painted nice now.

I won't know how to act....
campbellcj
I've used APS/Tower Paint for years, very happy, but Oscar's offer sounds like a better deal!
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 19 2020, 04:18 PM) *

I used a couple cans of "Chevrolet Orange" engine paint to do the engine compartment on Betty's 914 years ago (74 Phoenix Red). It was still like that when it got hit. Guess it will be painted nice now.

I won't know how to act....

Clay, Chevy engine block orange is indistinguishable from Phoenix red. I cannot tell them apart cool_shades.gif
PanelBilly
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 19 2020, 10:19 AM) *

Click to view attachment

PM me...

Send me a headlight cover, plus $30, I'll send you back TWO (2) Rattle cans that are color matched. Budget touch-up beerchug.gif

Oscar

I'd like to take up that offer, but can you ship them to Washington without it costing a bundle?
JamesM
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ May 20 2020, 08:42 AM) *

Clay, Chevy engine block orange is indistinguishable from Phoenix red. I cannot tell them apart cool_shades.gif

After a shop replaced my battery tray in my autox car and left it unpainted, I was in a hurry to get it back out there but also wanted to avoid any flash rusting so I hit it with a can of Rustoleum from Walmart...

I believe it was Lobster Red, was only going to be a temporary solution but i literally cant tell the difference between it and the rest of my Tangerine engine bay. When I saw the color laying down and how well it matched I sprayed some out on the engine shelf and firewall to get an overlap comparison, cant even see it. Not saying I would paint my whole car with it (though i admit I considered it for my autox car given its current appearance), but for a battery tray its amazing.
StarBear
For Zambezi green, I use Rustoleum 2X "Meadow Green". Very, very close; good enough for inside corners, wheel wells, etc. Wouldn't suggest for exterior body unless going to redo painting anyway. About $5/can, too!
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 20 2020, 09:58 AM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ May 19 2020, 10:19 AM) *

Click to view attachment

PM me...

Oscar

I'd like to take up that offer, but can you ship them to Washington without it costing a bundle?

$30 includes GROUND shipping (Two cans & headlight cover)

Oscar
Speedo

[/quote]

PM me...

Oscar
[/quote]
We will take you up on that. Sending a PM for an address.
ValcoOscar
Rec'd PM

All good

Oscar
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.