Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What’s the right operating temperature?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gturner008
As a Newbie, I’m asking what would a normal 2.0 temperature be, when driven for 30 mins on a warm day?

My temp gauge does not have numbers. The temp needle points up at the mid point - 12pm. Is this normal?
BeatNavy
Good discussion here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=29206

Can't tell you about how stock gauges read as I've never had one, but there may be something in that thread. Jake's info is very helpful (post #3).
dr914@autoatlanta.com

QUOTE(gturner008 @ May 21 2020, 05:46 AM) *

As a Newbie, I’m asking what would a normal 2.0 temperature be, when driven for 30 mins on a warm day?

My temp gauge does not have numbers. The temp needle points up at the mid point - 12pm. Is this normal?

GregAmy
I'm using the bottom left combo gauge with a 150C sender, and these numbers correlate to the Mainly dipstick thermometer.
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
The real old school way is to take out the dipstick and if you can slowly pass it hand to hand without burning yourself you're OK.
If you can't touch the hot dipstick handle you know you're way too hot.
Coondog

July’s the hottest month and it doesn’t even get over 80 degrees, if that’s a warm day then I am moving there........... driving.gif
SirAndy

Fun fact, when people kept complaining about their 914s running hot when looking at the early gauges, the factory replaced the gauge face plate for later versions with a smaller red zone but left the sending units the same.
shades.gif
SKL1
Send the gauge to North Hollywood Speedometer and they'll send you a sender and put numbers on the face. Works great.
gturner008
Here’s my gauge from my 76 2.0.

No numbers on the temp gauges.
Coondog

With the pic you provided then yes.
porschetub
I ran a insert like the OP has in my 911 combo gauge in the early days before getting the correct 911 numbered one.
The needle on the first one run just over centre and when I fitted the 911 inset it read 190 as George mentioned.
Mine runs consistently plus or minis that under all driving conditions except for the time the gear lever lost adjustment and it got to 210 + after driving home in second gear biggrin.gif .
Some of the insets have marks and numbers right @ the top where you don't see but don't remember which type.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.