Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TINKERGINEERING for those that are interested
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Thought I'd take a moment to introduce @TINKERGINEERING

She reached out to us and with the help of her dad they are doing an electric 914.
There's a whole story they are documenting, but thought I'd encourage them to post up a little of what they are doing.

sb914
What a cute video. Subscribed!!!!
rick 918-S
confused24.gif what video?

BTW: welcome.png assimilate.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Had to look for it in her signature. Here ya go, Rick.

https://youtu.be/lfGKeQZNsKQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfGKeQZNsKQ

Rleog
Subscribed, definitely.
This kid has loads of personality. She won me over the first time she pronounced Porsche. Her Mom and/or Dad definitely know their way around video editing. Thoroughly enjoyed the clip.
Cairo94507
She is a very smart, talented little girl with so much personality. I think she is going to do well in whatever she wants to do. Very cute video. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
This is great! A 914 EV held the record for fastest EV for several years
fixer34
So, she is like 11 yrs old...
Looks like something this board can get behind and support.
Be interesting to watch her progress over the next few years.

There was another thread about taking a teener on a first date. Can you just imagine her in high school driving this car? With her personality, she will have guys lined up around the block asking for a date.
914Toy
popcorn[1].gif
johnhora
Thanks for posting Mark...this is SO COOL....
Mikey914
Yes spent about a hour on the phone after they reached out to us. After listening to her lay out what they were doing and needed we had to help. Got them hooked up with EV West and will be helping on an ongoing basis. I had encouraged them to join here and post up some progress to help keep everything moving forward and have access to the "brain trust"
-Mark
914forme
I want the transparent tool that automates the lug bolt removal.

Subscribed
StarBear
So amazing and enjoyable! My favorite watch now that "Mystery of Oak Island" is off-season. smile.gif
mrholland2
I hope she caught the Vintage Voltage episode. That electric A/C system is intriguing. Wondering if it also would work with a gas powered 914?
914forme
@Mrholland2 the answer is yes, though the kit so far has been built for 911s. He is working on a 914 kit, as that is his car they where using for the build in the show.
914e
She nailed the first skill you need for a 914, steering it on the trailer.
oldschool
piratenanner.gif ...Yup cool and props for her and who ever is behind her...
djway
The Force is strong with this young Padawan.
Someone in the family has some nice video equipment and there is definitely some marketing savvy here.
Jett
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 22 2020, 07:54 AM) *

Yes spent about a hour on the phone after they reached out to us. After listening to her lay out what they were doing and needed we had to help. Got them hooked up with EV West and will be helping on an ongoing basis. I had encouraged them to join here and post up some progress to help keep everything moving forward and have access to the "brain trust"
-Mark

Mark, please let me know if they need anything, we would be happy to help and or donate to the cause.
TINKERGINEERING
Thank you all, especially Mark, for all your support! We are still learning how the forum works. I will have so many questions for you all. ( Should I start a new thread to introduce myself, or should it live here?)

Hello 914 World!
We are new here. It is clear that this is the best space for information on 914 projects. I was so excited to learn that this forum exists.
I am Frances. I run a YouTube channel called TINKERGINEERING
Tinkergineering is all about my journey in tinkering. Joy is what this gives me. Learning to share this joy has become my purpose. For my next project, I want to solve just a minor issue for myself. On September 16th. 2024, I will turn 16. This Winter I bought my first car, a 1976 Porsche 914 with the money I earned from picking the grapefruit tree at my house.This is my favorite car of all time and I will be converting it to electric! My main goal is to show other eleven-year-old girls how to take action in what they believe in. From bumpers to batteries I got my work cut out for me.
Who knows, maybe there is another kid out there who could gain inspiration for their dreams from this project. That is my purpose, to pay it forward.

I’m Frances.
I'm 11 years old.
Together my dad and I write and read these posts.
You can track my Tinkergineering progress on Youtube and Instagram.
The first episode of this journey is here:

2nd Episode: Project Tour:
https://youtu.be/iXfb1vN6BGo

INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/tinkergineering/
mepstein
Frances - welcome.png
fixer34
The second video is a riot!
SirAndy
QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ May 23 2020, 11:56 AM) *

Thank you all, especially Mark, for all your support! We are still learning how the forum works. I will have so many questions for you all. ( Should I start a new thread to introduce myself, or should it live here?)

Hello 914 World!
We are new here. It is clear that this is the best space for information on 914 projects. I was so excited to learn that this forum exists.
Tinkergineering is all about my journey in tinkering. Joy is what this gives me. Learning to share this joy has become my purpose. For my next project, I want to solve just a minor issue for myself. On September 16th. 2024, I will turn 16. This Winter I bought my first car, a 1976 Porsche 914 with the money I earned from picking the grapefruit tree at my house.This is my favorite car of all time and I will be converting it to electric! My main goal is to show other eleven-year-old girls how to take action in what they believe in. From bumpers to batteries I got my work cut out for me.
Who knows, maybe there is another kid out there who could gain inspiration for their dreams from this project. That is my purpose, to pay it forward.

I’m Frances.
I'm 11 years old.

welcome.png

You can embed YouTube videos in posts so they show a preview.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97052

There's a nailed FAQ thread in the garage which has some forum basics with examples:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94568

bye1.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXfb1vN6BGo

iankarr
So much fun and incredibly impressive!

@tinkergineering looks like you’ve got things really well covered, but I’m in for any help you need!

Go Frances!!! And. welcome.png
r_towle
welcome.png

If you need anything, just ask!

And yes, backdate then bumpers.
You can find used, but you can also buy new .
djway

Hello 914 World!

I’m Frances.
I'm 11 years old.

Haaaaaaa you know my favorite technical term THINGYMABOBBER
You Rock aktion035.gif
mtndawg
That wooden box with the kitchen drawer handle doesn’t look stock mellow.gif

Looking forward to seeing the metal under the seats and rocker covers.
914e
Frances, to answer your question about the motor controller. The old DC controller will not work with an AC motor. AC motors and controllers are generally sold as matched package.

My kids did their first conversion a little older than you about at 13 or 14. It took them awhile to talk me into it. They did a complete restoration of a 74 super beetle.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

They went a few months past their deadline of it being ready on their 16th birthday.

There was two of them so they ended up doing it in little over two years. The bulk of the time was sanding and doing bodywork. Tons of research by all of us.

We are current restoring a 914, like yours it was converted to electric about 20 years ago. With what looks to be about the same system and layout.

Do you plan on running the same 144 volts for the AC motor? 144 volts is a common voltage for conversions. For brands like HPEVS and NetGain 144 volts is their highest AC motor voltages. I might have the manual for your controller and the motor.
If they still work and most do, they still have fair amount of value to the conversion crowd.

I am not replacing the working DC system till after I have the rest of the car finished. Switch out the motor, controller and contactors is weekend project. I am leaning to the Netgain Hyper9 which would perform like a 914/6.

For a 914 even a 96 volt system is pretty quick. The bug is a 96 volt system and I still limited the power. Luckily my kids still let me set up the controller parameters or that setting would be 100%

In my view it is best to figure out what batteries you can fit, that will dictate your final voltage. That will help determine the voltage range of the motor. My son and I built foam core mockups of the modules and the motor to work up the placement and clearances.

We will be mocking up the battery enclosure for the 914 hopefully today and tomorrow. Foam core is much easier to handle and easy to modify before we make the metal enclosure.

High schools have thankfully brought back technology classes, that can give you access to 3D printers, CNC, laser cutters and more. Often they are eqipped with larger than what most people have at home. Most importantly it can give you free educational access to CAD software. Plus teachers love seeing projects like these.

It is great to see you wearing gloves. You and your dad need a set of insulated tools. Always use the insulted tools anywhere near the batteries or any of the electrical.
I was worried when I saw you removing the batteries with regular tools till you mentioned they were dead. Hopefully you measured them all, you can end up with a mix of some dead and some charged.

If you and your dad PM I can point you the right tools and which ones you likely to need. They are designed for high voltage electricians to use everyday so they are very expensive. So expensive they make Snap-on automotive tools seem cheap. You only need a few sizes. I found a low cost composite ratchet, good quality decent priced screwdriver sets, an AC/DC clamp on multimeter with current in rush measurement, along with specialty safety equipment

Give the batteries respect. Your complete pack will have enough current to run about 10 houses and there is no way to turn it off. It is basically a live electrical panel. Those final connections are live.

Great project, I'm sure my kids would love help in anyway they can.

TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(StarBear @ May 22 2020, 08:43 AM) *

So amazing and enjoyable! My favorite watch now that "Mystery of Oak Island" is off-season. smile.gif

Ha! Thats great thanks for the follow!
Mueller
Been following her for a while over on Instagram, wish I could get my twin girls as excited about a project.

Most all my electrical tools are main brand stuff, however I did purchase this crimping tool on Amazon and I am impressed by it. A main brand large crimping tool would cost $1500 (have one at work), for $40 it works well.

Click to view attachment
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(914e @ May 24 2020, 02:38 PM) *

Frances, to answer your question about the motor controller. The old DC controller will not work with an AC motor. AC motors and controllers are generally sold as matched package.

My kids did their first conversion a little older than you about at 13 or 14. It took them awhile to talk me into it. They did a complete restoration of a 74 super beetle.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

They went a few months past their deadline of it being ready on their 16th birthday.

There was two of them so they ended up doing it in little over two years. The bulk of the time was sanding and doing bodywork. Tons of research by all of us.

We are current restoring a 914, like yours it was converted to electric about 20 years ago. With what looks to be about the same system and layout.

Do you plan on running the same 144 volts for the AC motor? 144 volts is a common voltage for conversions. For brands like HPEVS and NetGain 144 volts is their highest AC motor voltages. I might have the manual for your controller and the motor.
If they still work and most do, they still have fair amount of value to the conversion crowd.

I am not replacing the working DC system till after I have the rest of the car finished. Switch out the motor, controller and contactors is weekend project. I am leaning to the Netgain Hyper9 which would perform like a 914/6.

For a 914 even a 96 volt system is pretty quick. The bug is a 96 volt system and I still limited the power. Luckily my kids still let me set up the controller parameters or that setting would be 100%

In my view it is best to figure out what batteries you can fit, that will dictate your final voltage. That will help determine the voltage range of the motor. My son and I built foam core mockups of the modules and the motor to work up the placement and clearances.

We will be mocking up the battery enclosure for the 914 hopefully today and tomorrow. Foam core is much easier to handle and easy to modify before we make the metal enclosure.

High schools have thankfully brought back technology classes, that can give you access to 3D printers, CNC, laser cutters and more. Often they are eqipped with larger than what most people have at home. Most importantly it can give you free educational access to CAD software. Plus teachers love seeing projects like these.

It is great to see you wearing gloves. You and your dad need a set of insulated tools. Always use the insulted tools anywhere near the batteries or any of the electrical.
I was worried when I saw you removing the batteries with regular tools till you mentioned they were dead. Hopefully you measured them all, you can end up with a mix of some dead and some charged.

If you and your dad PM I can point you the right tools and which ones you likely to need. They are designed for high voltage electricians to use everyday so they are very expensive. So expensive they make Snap-on automotive tools seem cheap. You only need a few sizes. I found a low cost composite ratchet, good quality decent priced screwdriver sets, an AC/DC clamp on multimeter with current in rush measurement, along with specialty safety equipment

Give the batteries respect. Your complete pack will have enough current to run about 10 houses and there is no way to turn it off. It is basically a live electrical panel. Those final connections are live.

Great project, I'm sure my kids would love help in anyway they can.

WHOA!
I like the foam mock up idea. we are still new to this and learning the language. I like the LED headlamps on the big. Cool color too. I believe all the DC stuff is coming out. We are hoping someone will find a use for it. Used the Curtis is still expensive. they said there wasn't many miles on this gear. just older now.

We should defiantly hear more about what you guys have learned. So many great people willing to share here! More to come Thanks for checking in.

(My Dad and I read and write all messages together - My Dad, Daniel say his and likes all the info you shared)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 24 2020, 04:41 PM) *

Been following her for a while over on Instagram, wish I could get my twin girls as excited about a project.

Most all my electrical tools are main brand stuff, however I did purchase this crimping tool on Amazon and I am impressed by it. A main brand large crimping tool would cost $1500 (have one at work), for $40 it works well.

Click to view attachment

Hi
Thanks for the follow! Lots of strange new tools for this project we are finding. Okay cool I will add to the list!

(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says Hi and thanks!)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(Jett @ May 23 2020, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 22 2020, 07:54 AM) *

-Mark

Mark, please let me know if they need anything, we would be happy to help and or donate to the cause.

Hello Jett!
Thanks for taking interest! I/We are still learning so many things. Tools, what parts are for what and then the EV bits. Its been taking more time than usual as there is lots of YouTube videos to shoot and this slows the project down. Still have a few years and all. I will make sure to run all questions to the forum for help. I kinda want this to be perfect but I also want to drive it every day as far as batteries will allow eventually.
(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says we will have many questions, the list has been created!!)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ May 23 2020, 08:16 PM) *

So much fun and incredibly impressive!

@tinkergineering looks like you’ve got things really well covered, but I’m in for any help you need!

Go Frances!!! And. welcome.png

Sweet Green! Thanks for the interest here! We are trying and I want to make sure to do this restoration right. Lots of new things to learn and it's taking time with the videos too. We will be sure to ask the form for guidance and blessing!
(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says Hi appreciates the compliment for me)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(mtndawg @ May 24 2020, 07:47 AM) *

That wooden box with the kitchen drawer handle doesn’t look stock mellow.gif

Looking forward to seeing the metal under the seats and rocker covers.

I still don't know what the deal is with that. Charger yes but its so weir.
We just took out the seats and peeled up the super sticky rubber.... that episode is coming out this week I hope.

But we did find a hole at the H-Hole. Learning to weld this summer will come in handy

(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says Hi thinks I should keep the kitchen drawer handle for something! )
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 23 2020, 09:41 PM) *

welcome.png

If you need anything, just ask!

And yes, backdate then bumpers.
You can find used, but you can also buy new .

Hello! Thank you for checking in. Still digging though. Okay good Now what do. Ido with these bumpers? Think they are worth something to some one? Id rather give them than sell them but may be too heavy for mailing. The Chrome metal will look so good. My favorite part of this car will be the bumpers!
(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says thanks for your message)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 23 2020, 12:44 PM) *

Frances - welcome.png

Hi thanks!
still learning how the forum works. seems German too smile.gif
(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says Hi and is learning German)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(fixer34 @ May 23 2020, 04:00 PM) *

Thanks for the watch! Getting better and faster quickly. more time is spent with the videos than the car at this point. kinda fustraiting. but fun
(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says Hi thinks I am fun watch!)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 23 2020, 04:49 PM) *

Hello 914 World!

I’m Frances.
I'm 11 years old.

welcome.png

You can embed YouTube videos in posts so they show a preview.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=97052

There's a nailed FAQ thread in the garage which has some forum basics with examples:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=94568

bye1.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXfb1vN6BGo

SirAndy!
OMG thanks for showing me/us this. spent too long yesterday trying to figure this out. Ha. That looks so much better. thanks for doing that. I am saving those links biggrin.gif
Thanks for your kind words!
(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says Hi thanks you for sharing)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 22 2020, 12:51 AM) *

Thought I'd take a moment to introduce @TINKERGINEERING

She reached out to us and with the help of her dad they are doing an electric 914.
There's a whole story they are documenting, but thought I'd encourage them to post up a little of what they are doing.

Thank you Mark for getting this going. Between Youtube, IG, TikTok,Emailing and 914 World I hope to actually make a car go again! You guys have been incredibly generous with info!
(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says have a great rest of the weekend)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(sb914 @ May 22 2020, 04:37 AM) *

What a cute video. Subscribed!!!!

sb914 I am learning surfing this summer! Thats the first place I am driving the 914 to. Not sure what beach yet maybe county line. I need to get this done by the spring of 2024 to go surfing!
Also need to make a surf board rack.

(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says Hi and stay tuned!)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(Rleog @ May 22 2020, 05:58 AM) *

Subscribed, definitely.
This kid has loads of personality. She won me over the first time she pronounced Porsche. Her Mom and/or Dad definitely know their way around video editing. Thoroughly enjoyed the clip.

Rleog thanks for the kind words! This an awesome car. I need to sell more grapefruit for parts I think. biggrin.gif

(My Dad (Daniel) and I write and read the messages together - He says Hi and wants me to start learning editing next!)
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(fixer34 @ May 23 2020, 04:00 PM) *

Thanks Learning so much!! agree.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(fixer34 @ May 22 2020, 06:48 AM) *

So, she is like 11 yrs old...
Looks like something this board can get behind and support.
Be interesting to watch her progress over the next few years.

Cary and I did a little coaching yesterday https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBrK8kQFLaw/?i...id=56n7k6i3hgsy
Matty900
Another awesome video was just posted piratenanner.gif I had the opportunity to stop by and visit Francis and her dad Dan. The unique front bumper in the video.... I think it was made of concrete. I was very surprised when I picked it up at how heavy it was. Probably weighs more than Francis huh.gif
Great job @tinkergineering
ejmetz
Hey Frances (and Daniel) - awesome project!! Love the videos and I can’t wait to follow the progress.

I am also a 914 Newbie (however, not a Porsche Newbie), and believe it or not, just today I got the rebuilt engine running in the car for the fist time since I bought it! Can’t wait to get it on the road. It’s not electric, but I 100% believe that electric is the way to go, and I work closely with some of the latest technology in EVs. Have you had a chance to ride in the Taycan yet?

I have learned a TON from this forum and the members are awesome. 914 Rubber has been my “go-to” for most everything (including my new face masks). I place an order about once a week from them. (Part of the “fun” of restoring a Classic Porsche! - better keep selling those grapefruit!)

Keep up the Porsche Passion and I look forward to watching this project take shape!

Cheers!
Erich
davep
QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ May 24 2020, 04:22 PM) *

I am learning surfing this summer! Thats the first place I am driving the 914 to. Not sure what beach yet maybe county line. I need to get this done by the spring of 2024 to go surfing!
Also need to make a surf board rack.

Follow this link to an ad for the Surf Porsche:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=30435
Underneath the Targa bar (where the rear of the roof attaches) you will find 3 little plastic buttons on both sides. Pull these plugs, and you have threaded holes for attaching accessories. Remove the roof, and look in the rubber seal along the windshield frame, and there should be two plastic sockets about an inch wide and 1/8"
tall. With the proper frame, these allow tabs to be inserted for a roof rack, and still allow the roof to be installed; normally used for ski racks or a bicycle rack. So a few possibilities to install a surf board rack.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.