Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
How would I buy a complete type 1 FI system..the stock system.

What type is it? L jet or what...

Can I modify a 1.8 ljet to work....

Rich
bd1308
it's some modified something something system...not L-jet at all....

motronic rings a bell....but its a cheap version.
Bleyseng
The bug FI was ljet. the Mexibeetle stuff is cool if you can locate it.

Mark Henry
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jul 9 2005, 02:03 AM)
The bug FI was ljet. the Mexibeetle stuff is cool if you can locate it.

agree.gif

It's a bit of a bastard system, that's why old bug guys would scrap 'em for carbs.

It has bigger tinware (for the injectors, etc.) so if it's going into an older bug you would have to install the injectors, etc after the engine is in...or cut and hack for the FI tins.
Bleyseng
yeah but the plenum and runners and such are setup for switching to a MS or other EFI that works better than the stock setup.
dmenche914
VW used both the D-Jet, and L-Jet systems on the type I engine.

The squarebacks, fastback series of VW's had a pancake Type I engine. Some used cards, later ones used D-Jet. You would not be able to directly mount this D-Jet on an "upright" VW fan motor, but it is stock for the "pancake" fan system motors. (upright fan house would be in the way of the intake runners for instance)

I beleive VW laid claim to worlds first mass produced FI system on a passenger car with this.

Late VW Bugs sold in the USA used a L-Jet system on the Upright fan house Type I motor. Sure folks did remove thoose systems and installed carbs. But that was not so much fualt of the L-Jet, as it was that the Bug by them was all smogged out (ecspecially in Calif.) Catalysts, reduced compression all caused loss in power.
even before the FI was introduced, the USA Bugs where dropping in power from 1971 on using carbs.

I am not sure on the Mexican Bug. I did drive one in Mexico, it ran great and smooth. I am sure VW made advancements uptil the end of the Bug. I know it was an airflow based system, like the L-jet, but it might be called something else, heck we are talking year 2000, the last FI USA bugs from Germany were 1980 era FI systems.

At anyrate, type ones have used both D-jet (pancake configuration) and L-Jet (upright configuration) With possibley a different system (or more advanced L-jet) for the last of the Mexican Bugs. I think I recall seeing a knock and Oxygen sensor on that Mexican Bug I rented, which if i am right about that means that that system was more advanced than the USA L-Jet Bugs, as there did not have these sensors.

I have heard of on the internet an outfit that buys, sells, reconditions the old Type I Bug FI stuff, do a search, or check out "the Samba" VW website, they can direct you.

For folks in Calinazishrwatzniggerfornia, that early Bug FI stuff is improtant, and rare to have, as you must have it to register your car (no more rolling 30 year old expemption, thanks arnold, Hail arnold, auchtune, aim fire!!!)

Anyway, what you trieing to do????
Bleyseng
here are some pics of the end castings , plenum etc of the BtlMex setup.

http://carolineandjeremy.multiply.com/photos/album/1
Cap'n Krusty
The Mexican bug has a Motronic system, and it's great. Simple, clean, effective, trouble free. The Cap'n
bd1308
see I was right and you all were wrong flipa.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 9 2005, 02:29 PM)
see I was right and you all were wrong flipa.gif

The bug FI was ljet. the Mexibeetle stuff

VW used both the D-Jet, and L-Jet systems on the type I engine

The Mexican bug has a Motronic system,

Still werking out the reading bug huh Britt?
bd1308
no. why F with the old crap when you could just go motronic?
scotty b
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jul 9 2005, 02:57 PM)
no. why F with the old crap when you could just go motronic?

dry.gif Arn't you the person who just paid a mechanic to rip out your F.I., replace it with a carb, just so you can pay them to rip out the carb and put the F.I. back on in a few months?? Yeah that's what I thought. As far as you being "right" Your staement was "it's some modified something something system...not L-jet at all....motronic rings a bell...but it's a cheap version" wacko.gif I guess I'll give you a D+ on that one. Since the early bugs DID use L-jet, and the late ones DID use Motro, although I wasn't aware there was a cheap and expensive version of motronic. confused24.gif
bd1308
motronic is outta my league. I dont have a limitless budget. I ate it(the post)....yeah i was trying to cover all the bases.

sad.gif

I'm goign to work on my car now.
r_towle
So,
Is there a way to purchase a complete Motronic FI system plenum, runners et al for a beetle?

Possibly spare parts in mexico?

Is Dr Evil here...if so, can you ask your connections if that can be purchased complete??

Rich
dmenche914
rich, let me know by email if you find any source for the mexican bug FI system. I think that would be great to try on my Bug or kit car, or ghia, or bus.

keep me posted.

thanks
bd1308
no please if you could I would like to see something on this as well.

Might be an option for 1.7L people.....

hell, since its closed loop, it would be easily expendable....
rhodyguy
august 99' hotVWs. Turbo City's TBI for T1s was written up. it utilized stock end castings, for upright tin, and a GM TB. i'm sure it was/is not inexspensive. address listed:

Turbo City
1137 W. Katella Ave.
Orange, CA 92867
714-639-4933

k

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.