Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side shift linkage ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
Took my 74 2.0 out for a ride and now it will only go into 2nd and 3rd gear.
I guess something in the linkage broke or came loose. Anybody else have this problem ?
Bleyseng
Check the hex head screws that hold the linkage together. One inside the shift console and one at the shift coupler.
ndfrigi
or check the coupler too

Click to view attachment
porschetub
Bulkhead bushing most likely if everything is still bolted up.
When the coupling falls off you get NO gears....ask me how I know ? believe it or not it happened to me yesterday,road side repair after a VERY long walk and back to get tools,message to self keep your tool kit in the car and not sitting on the bench headbang.gif .
My linkage system isn't stock and I hadn't tightened the pinch bolt enough on one uni-joints.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914rat @ May 25 2020, 07:50 PM) *

Took my 74 2.0 out for a ride and now it will only go into 2nd and 3rd gear.
I guess something in the linkage broke or came loose. Anybody else have this problem ?
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 25 2020, 09:02 PM) *

or check the coupler too

Click to view attachment

exact same occurrence a couple months ago for me. and it was the coupler bushing like Noel shows in his pic or rather shows the lack of. if you loose that bushing you will have 2&3 and in most cases that’s it , i knew i had to be on mine before i looked because it’s the only bushing i had not changed, and for many it has not been changed due to the difficulty of pressing out the retaining pin.
be careful when attempting this it’s easy to damage the coupler.
another thread here recently with another member having same issue also discussed replacement bushings. i have 3 types but installed the bronze ones and am very happy with how tight and smooth the shifting is now.
ClayPerrine
I just replace them with an old 914 steering U-Joint. No more cone screw, and the U-joint is easy to disconnect to work on the engine. And it never gets sloppy.

IPB Image

914rat
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 25 2020, 05:02 PM) *

or check the coupler too

Click to view attachment

Winner !
Spent 4 hours under the car and for the life of me can't get the firewall bushing in.
I had 1 in stock in my parts hoard. I have not even attempted the bushings on the coupler, I did not have those, they turned to dust.

I will order a shift linkage kit any insight on which kit works best ?
Tdskip
@914rat - welcome to the club, very common problem.

Check YouTube for 911 shift coupler bushing install, same thing for our cars and videos will explain it well.
914rat
Replaced the coupler bushings the ball cup, the shifter bushing under the spring, the bushing in the rear shift console, and used the red bushing from Sierra Madre for the firewall. All done. Still shifts sloppy to me but I have all 5 gears and reverse.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(914rat @ Jun 18 2020, 08:40 AM) *

Replaced the coupler bushings the ball cup, the shifter bushing under the spring, the bushing in the rear shift console, and used the red bushing from Sierra Madre for the firewall. All done. Still shifts sloppy to me but I have all 5 gears and reverse.

did you check the bottom of your shifter? maybe the spring need replacement.

Click to view attachment
914werke
Try the bronze console bushing I offer HERE
It may further tighten up the slop you are experiencing smile.gif
914rat
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 18 2020, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(914rat @ Jun 18 2020, 08:40 AM) *

did you check the bottom of your shifter? maybe the spring need replacement.

Click to view attachment

Took that al apart and replaced the nylon bushing on the bottom cleaned the springs and re applied fresh grease. It is better than it ever has been maybe I had higher expectations.
914rat
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 18 2020, 08:35 AM) *

Try the bronze console bushing I offer HERE
It may further tighten up the slop you are experiencing smile.gif

I replaced with the AA delrin bushing everything is tight in the system almost seems too tight. I have never driven a 914 with all the shift bushings replaced. Maybe I had higher expectations than results. Gonna go back through it and add a little more grease where warranted and call it done for now. Thanks for the link BTW next time I will try the bronze bushing it looks more durable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.