Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about tail to side conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben1440
Hey everyone,

I am converting from a 1.7 tail shifter to a 1.8 side shifter out of a '75. Are the eninge mounts (not where the bar mounts to the engine but where the bar mounts to the car) different? When I mount the egine, it seems like the engine is too low for the shift linkage to travel through the bar without any friction. For the time being, I set up a 1/4 inch spacer and it seemed to resolve the problem.

Also, the shifting seems very tight. I replaced the shift bushings when converting. Maybe i need to well grease the bushings but it seems very tight.

Does any one have any pics of where the engine bar mounts to the car? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

--Ben beer3.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (ben1440 @ Jul 8 2005, 11:13 PM)
Hey everyone,

I am converting from a 1.7 tail shifter to a 1.8 side shifter out of a '75. Are the eninge mounts (not where the bar mounts to the engine but where the bar mounts to the car) different? When I mount the egine, it seems like the engine is too low for the shift linkage to travel through the bar without any friction. For the time being, I set up a 1/4 inch spacer and it seemed to resolve the problem.

Also, the shifting seems very tight. I replaced the shift bushings when converting. Maybe i need to well grease the bushings but it seems very tight.

Does any one have any pics of where the engine bar mounts to the car? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks

--Ben beer3.gif

[QUOTE]Are the eninge mounts (not where the bar mounts to the engine but where the bar mounts to the car) different?

Yes and Yes, Actually they were switched, the side shifter engine cross bar just mounts to 2 plates that replaced the rubber mounts on the body, and the rubber mounts were moved into the center, the large solid engine mount for the tail shifter was replaced with 2 small ones that bolts in the same place, which are then mounted to side shifter engine bar ( with the hole ) with rubber mounts.

It, sounds like, you,ve mounted the side shifter engine bar to the tail shifter rubber mounts on the body, and the front of the motor, is now to low and is binding up the shift rod.

Remove the rubber mounts, on each side of the engine bar, I'am sure some one here on the club has the 2 plates to replace the rubber mounts, that are needed to mount the side shifter engine bar.

This should help smash.gif
jr91472
I agree with v6914. This pic is a little blurry, but should help.

I feel your pain....I did this conversion last summer and could never find a picture or diagram of the mounts.

good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.