Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Car thieves caught in the act
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pugbug
Every police department should have a program like this.....Very entertaining!

http://www.baitcar.com/videos/high_speed_escape
gaz914
Looks like fun for the COPS

My company does tracking/recovery of stolen vehicles (bit like LoJack).
Have a look here QuikTrak Website

No video though!

We recover about 50 vehicles a year smile.gif

GAZ
MecGen
Hey

I call this ENTRAPMENT mad.gif

I know that they exsist, but have seen similar footage coming from the States, has stink all over it....

I am not a car thief...just don't trust the guys running the show. I understand a theif is a thief, but the "set up" can vary drastically, deppending on pending promotion.

Just to be clear, I have a close friend, that is a Sergent in the local Police force here, and many other contacts in the feild. I pull no punches with them, and I expect them not to either. My veiws are clear.

BC people have and ongoing class action against the "Photo Cop", I donated from the other side of the country. Cash Cow for revenues.

You hate me yet ? beer.gif
Sometimes it nice to talk Canadian...
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
morph
Portland unveiled its new bait car not to long ago, and if Im not mistaken, here in the states the supreme court has ruled that it is not entrapment because no one told them to take the car. There has been a large increase in crime in the Portland area due to the meth epidemic here and I they are hoping to catch more thiefs this way, however as it is with the budget crisis, they cant house them anyways, so they will just be realeased.

HIEDI
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (morphenspectra @ Jul 9 2005, 07:39 AM)
Portland unveiled its new bait car ... they will just be realeased.

the 'catch and release' philosophy runs deep in the American West ...
CptTripps
How on earth can you call that Entrapment? Stealing cars is illegal.
Mr.C
After seeing some of the videos, I don't understand why the thief can drive so long. screwy.gif
They need to add a kill switch and rig it so pepper spray shoots out of the steering wheel. happy11.gif
bd1308
no way....then the thiefs would do something crazy stupid like sue the city for assult with pepper spray or something.
Pugbug
Entrapment? Do you think a person like the one in this video deserves to have his "rights" protected? I don't!

http://www.baitcar.com/videos/oncoming

He is a meth addict and was high when he stole this truck. He was stealing 3 or 4 cars every day and selling them to one of the organised car theft rings for export to various countrys. He had 123 criminal convictions over the last six years. He was driving the truck in excess of 100 mph on city streets, so the police did not kill the engine for fear of him injuring someone. He was sentenced to 4 years. Not enough IMHO.
The Vancouver area had the highest auto theft rate in the english speaking world before the bait car program and something had to be done.
Remember your car could be stolen too. Would you call it entrapment if you set up a video to protect your car? I think not!
MecGen
Hey
Like I said a theif is a thief.
My problem being with the people in charge of the bust.

I have seen news footage of a bait car, dropped off by a dumb blond in BMW A, with a cell phone, calling and picked up by another dumb blond, BMW B. Leaving BMW A parked, so far so good...they did it in the poorest part of Detroit, and left the keys in it...15 seconds before someone was caught....14 year old boy.

Put this to test in a middle class area, or a shopping center, its fair game.

Just IMHO
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.