Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ready to install new engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I'm about ready to install my new engine(2.2 147 hp Fat Performance). What are the things most people forget to do before installation? I know I will forget something. What have you forgotten during the installation process? If I can get my kid to show me how to work the digi camera I,ll try to get some pics off.
Cheers, Elliot
Qarl
After it is installed... ADD OIL!

Make sure you study your new engine startup and breakin procedure properly or you will ruin a good engine!
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jul 18 2003, 09:42 PM)
After it is installed... ADD OIL!

Make sure you study your new engine startup and breakin procedure properly or you will ruin a good engine!

Hi,
The engine has been run on the dyno although I don't know how long. I asked the folks at Fat Performance about break-in and they said go ahead and RUN IT! I think his actual words were. "Drive it the way you want it to run." "You want it to run hard?" "Drive it hard."
Well they're the experts but I don't think I'll be driving it too damn hard too soon, considering what I paid for it. I think a short break-in time is reasonable for any new engine. agree.gif
Cheers, Elliot
PS It's got oil in it already but will definately be on the check list. Thanks.
Bleyseng
Change the tranny pilot seal and the throwout arm plastic cup bushing before installing the engine.

Geoff
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 19 2003, 06:38 AM)
Change the tranny pilot seal and the throwout arm plastic cup bushing before installing the engine.

Geoff

Hi,
Did that also. I got a shop list as long as your arm!!
Cheers, Elliot
Mark Henry
The cam is the only thing you really need to break-in and if it has been run on the dyno that's done.
Driving it a bit hard helps the rings wear in proper.

Could tell us the ballpark price you paid for your FAT mill? A Raby 2270cc engine would be well over $6000.+

driving.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
All I had to give Fat Performance was a 2.0 that I bought for $500. I had the heads, crank, crankcase and generator. They supplied everything else including a header and muffler, dual webers, tin etc. It came to just about $7000. A lot for a type IV but not bad considering what they started with. I'll let you know if it was worth it in about 30 or 40K miles.
Cheers, Elliot
Andyrew
7k, GASP* icon8.gif

I wish I had 7k to throw away on an engine! I would be a proud owner of a 6! Wow, I bet you get your moneys worth in fun!! Good luck
rhodyguy
how about the tin seals for the engine compartment? rebush the rod @ the firewall? hell, if you haven't done it do them all and get the plastic cover that goes over the point where the inkage enters the trans, the rubber boot too. for an assembeld and tuned engine it doesn't seem out of line.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.