Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 rust repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Looks pretty bad, but you should have seen the other side! We get into this every day, but thankfully the 914s are simple, so if you can weld and are good at simple jigsaw puzzles and measuring, you can save a 914!Click to view attachment
bkrantz
George, that reminds me. Do you (or others) know what the stock heat tubes are made of?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 3 2020, 08:37 PM) *

George, that reminds me. Do you (or others) know what the stock heat tubes are made of?

The two tubes are steel, the center muffler is fiberglass, insulation and cardboard.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

coating the panels is very important before installation Jeff is applying Wurth Zinc spray
bretth
How do you keep the paper tubes from going on fire when welding the panel back on?
Bartlett 914
George. Can you show us a better picture of your bracing?
malcolm2
QUOTE(bretth @ Jun 4 2020, 04:33 PM) *

How do you keep the paper tubes from going on fire when welding the panel back on?

I have never seen one, but I don't think they are paper.
914werke
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jun 4 2020, 05:43 PM) *
I have never seen one, but I don't think they are paper.
They are. The are the same foil backed corrugated paper tube material that is used in the cowl just a larger size with a smaller one fit inside it & as George said FG packed into the void. The whole affair is then held together by plastic end caps glued on.
I have several FS. Same unit used in both 911 & 914.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 4 2020, 03:05 PM) *

George. Can you show us a better picture of your bracing?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Bartlett 914
That is a lot of bracing. Thanks for posting George
luft
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jun 10 2020, 09:05 AM) *

That is a lot of bracing. Thanks for posting George

Yes very helpful & thanks for your clarity, appreciated.
Tman914
George
On your bracing i see the lower bar mounting but the upper one is mounted where upper door hinged goes and then it disappears ?

Thank tman914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.