Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Better panel clamps for butt welding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
A customer gave me these. I don’t know if they are still in business.
Click to view attachment

They are much better panel clamps than these
Click to view attachment

It comes apart and makes it easier if they are a little stuck
Click to view attachment
The pin is stainless and the thumb screw has a brass insert, so you don’t have to worry about stripping the threads on the pin
dakotaewing
Can't find them any where else- Maybe someone will have better luck than me?
porschetub
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Jun 4 2020, 03:52 PM) *

Can't find them any where else- Maybe someone will have better luck than me?

Bought the square ones of Amazon,some say the gap needed to fit them is too much...I will find out when I plate the hole in the front of my car the PO butchered out for front cooler...time will tell confused24.gif .
Anyone know the thickness of the factory sheet metal in this area ?.
TargaToy
I have the square ones too. Had them for years and I *think* they came from Eastwood. There have been times that I've thought the gap they create is too wide but they are not so bad that I have abandoned them. They do make me wish I had 3 hands sometimes when the little square dowel slides out as I'm trying to finesse a panel into place.
sixnotfour
Copper E-Clamps
The Perfect Butt Welding Clamp

https://www.highlandtool.org/
BeatNavy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 4 2020, 03:56 PM) *

Copper E-Clamps

Wow, those are pretty slick. Not worrying about holding the copper against the back would help my welding significantly.
mbseto
Looks pretty easy to retro fit the regular square ones with a DIY copper bar...
TargaToy
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jun 4 2020, 04:37 PM) *

There's a fantastic idea.
worn
mine are like the ones at right. Came from Eastwood.
bbrock
Harbor Freight has the square ones at a fraction of the price Eastwood sells them. I've got sets from both and can't tell them apart. I don't understand the complaint about the gap. Seems pretty much right to me. Would love to get a set of those fancy ones though.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 4 2020, 11:56 AM) *

Copper E-Clamps

That's cool
gereed75
Go on YouTube and check out Fitzee’s Fabrications. The guy is amazing. Uses a butt welding panel replacement technique that uses no clamps. In one episode he shows his clamps in a drawer claiming they have been unused for years.

Very clever and skillful guy and very entertaining. He’s the man!
euro911
Mad skills for sure aktion035.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 4 2020, 11:58 PM) *

Go on YouTube and check out Fitzee’s Fabrications. The guy is amazing. Uses a butt welding panel replacement technique that uses no clamps. In one episode he shows his clamps in a drawer claiming they have been unused for years.

Very clever and skillful guy and very entertaining. He’s the man!

I've watched a couple of his clips. I like how he explains and approaches something. His demeanor and (I guess) Irish brogue are also very entertaining. He is the man.
IronHillRestorations
I've seen Fitzee's videos before too. I'd like to see him weld on a set of 914 flairs, to see how he'd approach it.
pilothyer
QUOTE(mbseto @ Jun 4 2020, 03:37 PM) *

agree.gif and quite a bit cheaper biggrin.gif
gereed75
Just made my first patch panel using the Fitzzee method as seen on YouTube. Took about 1.5 hours and looks fuggin great!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Appears to fit like a champ. Perfectly replicates the original. That is the corner on the front valence on my Datsun 510 race car. Can’t wait to weld it in using his clampless butt welding technique. That guy is incredible.

What amazes me is not only how good this came out, but it is the first patch panel I ever made! Would never been able to do it without Fitzzee videos.
mbseto
I like watching that guy. Sounds like a scottish brogue with a little shade of Chicago. Jealous of his I-beam anvil.
gereed75
I believe he is from Newfoundland.
Alain V.
Great thread guys! I'd never seen Fitzi's videos, and good tip on those clamps too.
first.gif
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 10 2020, 04:35 PM) *

I believe he is from Newfoundland.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.