Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front trunk seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
Hi,
I am going to replace the front trunk seal in a day or two, gotta clean up the old glue in that channel. What kind of glue or snot should i use to re install it.

Thanks
Renee

biggrin.gif
ndfrigi
I believed no gluing or anything adhesive needed.
eric9144
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jun 5 2020, 06:47 PM) *

agree.gif the 914rubber re-pop of the front seal is so good you don't need adhesive. That way if you drive in rain or do a big wash on the car you can pull it up and dry out the channels that water always collects in.
mb911
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 5 2020, 07:00 PM) *

agree.gif the 914rubber re-pop of the front seal is so good you don't need adhesive. That way if you drive in rain or do a big wash on the car you can pull it up and dry out the channels that water always collects in.

I actually have the opposite experience.. My 914 rubber seal doesn't fit properly and will have to be glued down.
BeatNavy
Weren't there two "generations" of 914Rubber's seal? Ben, do you know if you have an early one? I think that one had minor fitment issues. I believe mine is later and it seats in the channel well without adhesive.
Matty900
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 6 2020, 05:53 AM) *

I actually have the opposite experience.. My 914 rubber seal doesn't fit properly and will have to be glued down.

We will replace it if there is an issue with it I like to use just a little bit of weather strip adhesive at the corners but don't go nits with it. I just spent hours cleaning the prior owners mess he made on my orange car. Here is Mark showing how to do it at Okteenerfest last year https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmf2dwvzicwfg6t/9...nstall.mp4?dl=0
beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jun 6 2020, 05:15 AM) *

Weren't there two "generations" of 914Rubber's seal? Ben, do you know if you have an early one? I think that one had minor fitment issues. I believe mine is later and it seats in the channel well without adhesive.

I thought I had the newest best version.. It is very very high quality but seems short by the headlight channels
mb911
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Jun 6 2020, 05:18 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 6 2020, 05:53 AM) *

We will replace it if there is an issue with it I like to use just a little bit of weather strip adhesive at the corners but don't go nits with it. I just spent hours cleaning the prior owners mess he made on my orange car. Here is Mark showing how to do it at Okteenerfest last year https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmf2dwvzicwfg6t/9...nstall.mp4?dl=0
beerchug.gif

Thanks @Matty900 I will look at it maybe this week.. It will definitely have to be glued in and keep in mind this on my restoration so channels are free and clear of debris.
hndyhrr

Thanks!
cary
What Matt said. Just a small dab of black snot right in the cowl corner.
mb911
Click to view attachment

This is where I am at.. Does this look correct? Should I be glueing @Matty900 ?
Mikey914
The new one is easy to tell. It's not a symmetrical extruded seal. The base is contoured to fit into the bottom channel. There is a top fin, just like the OEM profile. The real difference is the corners. We bonded them into the mo;d instead of gluing them like OEM. We also made them out of the same material not the harder rubber like OEM.
There was some video I'm trying to get a hold of.
Mikey914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 6 2020, 09:06 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This is where I am at.. Does this look correct? Should I be glueing @Matty900 ?

I use 3m weatherstrip adhesive not a "glue"
StarBear
QUOTE(cary @ Jun 6 2020, 12:06 PM) *

What Matt said. Just a small dab of black snot right in the cowl corner.

Yep; that's what I did. Kept lid closed for a week or two after installing and everything sort of settled in. Had a early version.
Mikey914
works on the late version also
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.