Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best grease for seat tracks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
I don't want to use a red grease as it could stain in the event of a mishap while taking the seats in/out. Leaning toward just plain old Vaseline.

What works well and isn't messy? confused24.gif
76-914
I used a white lithium grease after thoroughly cleaning my rails. Once they're clean they slide like new with very little grease. Remember grease attracts dirt and dust. beerchug.gif
bbrock
I used teflon bicycle chain lube and it seems to be working well. I'm not sure they slide quite as effortlessly as with grease but should trap dirt and gunk. The seats are easy to adjust.
jim_hoyland
Grease may attract dirt; I use Teflon spray, lightly !
My seat had always been hard to slide; li put 1/4 nylon spacers between the track bolts and the seats; sliding became easier.
914_7T3
@socalandy suggested using a dab of wheel bearing grease and not white lithium for the reasons stated above.
bigkensteele
Thanks all. I think I will try the teflon. It also just occurred to me that having removed the tracks from the seats to recover them, they are most likely out of alignment. So I think that is my first order of business.
mepstein
Finish line makes a pure Teflon grease. Expensive but works great. I bought a tube, actually a syringe of it on amazon.
Rand
Silicone spray is awesome, but it doesn't stay. Hence... grease. Just a good white grease applied less than you think it would need. It's not a new rocket science problem.
80’s old school
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 6 2020, 06:31 PM) *

I don't want to use a red grease as it could stain in the event of a mishap while taking the seats in/out. Leaning toward just plain old Vaseline.

What works well and isn't messy? confused24.gif

Do not use Vaseline. I made that mistake before.

The first time you get a hot day, it’s melts into oil and makes a mess.

White lithium grease seems logical to me.
ahycaramba
I like to work with “Sil Glyde”. I have been using this grease for a while now. Never had an issue. Alway has good rating and my seal of approval.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.