Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat belts and harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
While I'm sitting here with the computer machine on I got another question befor I "go for the Merlot". I need new belts in the car and would like to have harnesses. Any suggestions? It will be a street car and maybe a autox some day. Cam Locks or Latch? Anyone familiar with Livermore Performance. They seem to have reasonably priced belts. Any place to get Sparco at a good price?
Cheers, Elliot
Andyrew
Go with camlocks, They are very easy to use and for the inexperienced rider very simple. Try Racers Wholesale. www.racerswholesale.com , They seem to have good belts at a cheep price. If not them, then Simpson belts if you want to spend the extra greens.

Andrew
Qarl
If you want serious straps... get the 5-point system. The substrap helps keep the lap belts low around your pelvis so they don't slide up and break you ribs or crush your soft internal organs below your rib cage in a big crash! Yuck! barf.gif

I'm using Schroth 5-point with camlock, but I don't know much about the other locking system. They are expensive, but I found a good deal on two sets.

Simpson makes belts.

Check out http://www.stableenergies.com

It's also best not to use a harness bar, but rather mount the safety belts to the firewall with proper backing plates. There are guidelines to follow about the angle of the belts from your shoulder to the rear wall.

I didn't have the substrap mounted in this picture.
EdwardBlume
I agree with the 5 pt advice.

Cam locks are the way to go. Get the type you can add one link at a time OK. Its tough to get 5 points held in and then turn.

I have the latch type 5 point. It works, but I've gone through two latches that stick shut. Not safe!

Don't be afraid to drill through your firewall to mount the shoulder straps, unless you pop for a harness bar. I don't know if this is good advice, but I strapped the submarine strap around the front crossbar of the seat rail and it works great. I got lazy and decided not to drill through the floor.

Good luck!!
Joe Bob
5 points for the track....DOT approved belst for the street.

Race belst are good for 3 years...but are not DOT approved. All ya need is one NASCAR booger eating booster cop to write ya up for your 5 points on the street.

The best place for street replacemnt belts, that "I" have found is www.peparts.com the owner is an asshole but his stuff is top shelf......
Jeroen
The Schroth harness is available as both ECE (street) and FIA (track) approved
Most 4-point harnesses that you can get are streetlegal (but probably aren't track legal).

So, for what you are looking for, a 4 point will do just fine (unless you AX rules require a 5 or 6 point)

Any harnass can crush your ribs or intestants or compress your spine.
That has nothing to do with how many points the harnass has (4, 5 or 6) but everything with the way you mount and wear them.

cheers,

Jeroen
airsix
Be sure to get a set with individually mounted shoulder belts. The harnesses that have a 'Y' shaped single mount for the shoulder belts don't work well in our cars because the firewall is too close to the seat.
-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.