Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front wheel bearings...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hey gang....so I need some advice....I would have loved to have joined the June 6 rally but went north instead to visit with 27 year old son. On way home right front wheel made some terrible sounds so I pulled over and continued after and made it home. Sound went away. Maybe 75 miles more after sound. At the time of sound I touched the passenger side wheel hub and it was hot! Driver's side barely warm. So made it home and dug in to the wheel and sure enough the wheel bearing was loose and wheel had play. So after going into the wheel the grease exactly on the bearings was black, not the Mobile One pink like the grease all around the bearing. This is like the third time I have worked on the front wheel bearings. Last time, maybe 5,000 miles ago I replaced them. Any idea why I am having reacuring wheel bearing problems? Am I using the wrong grease? Or inferior bearings? I think the last bearings were FAG. Seems I have have dealt with this issue way too often for normal. Please advise what to do and what bearings and grease are the best. Thank you very much.
gg
falcor75
FAG should be an OK brand, them or SKF are good quality. I use SKF's own grease with my bearings.

I assume you installed them by the book and packed them with grease prior to installation?

Where do you buy your bearings?
Chances are that if you get them on ebay from the cheapest alternative you get fake pirated ones. They will look ok, have the same markings and packaging as the original but the tolerances and durability is not the same as an original part.

I have stopped buying bearings online and go to a local SKF dealer. Yes its much more expensive but you only have to do the job once.

SirAndy
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jun 7 2020, 10:07 PM) *
I assume you installed them by the book

agree.gif

To get them just right can be a bit tricky, i use the old screwdriver and whack 'em method and that has never failed me (yet).

We did the same routine when i was working on 911 club racers.
smash.gif
second wind
I get them from "All car parts" in canoga park ,calif. Super great people and parts store.
What is the best grease? I have been using Mobile One red grease ready to change. This is an on going problem and is not normal as i see it. I am willing to pay for performance. At age 64 I have learned fix it once right. What is the best bearing...Timkin? Best grease? All I want is to not have to worry every few miles about my front end. Takes the fun out of a drive. Please advise...thank you!
gg
wysri9
This is a job on my build list. I would love to use an old club racer technique- “screwdriver trick and whack ‘em” leaves me none the wiser though..... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
914Sixer
I have done several articles over the past years about bearing quality. In the old days there only one type of bearing. They were ALL first quality. Now it seems there is economy, daily and professional. If you stick with the big three you should be good. FAG, SKF and Timken should get you to the professional level every time.
76-914
Is it the same side every time? Have you inspected the spindles for wear? How do you seat the bearings? When dealing with bearings, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness"! lol-2.gif In addition to what others have said I'd do this: Spin the wheel then tighten the nut until it slows the spinning motion noticeably. Then back off just a hair. Drive it a couple of hundred miles then check to see if the nut could be tightened some more.
iankarr
How are you packing your bearings with grease? Really important to get all surfaces covered and it's sometimes tricky. If it's inconsistent the bearing will def wear out sooner.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jun 8 2020, 01:07 PM) *

How are you packing your bearings with grease? Really important to get all surfaces covered and it's sometimes tricky. If it's inconsistent the bearing will def wear out sooner.

agree.gif Messy but you have to first wash out the cosmoline, put a big blob of grease in your palm and squeeze (both palms) the grease right through the bearings. There's bearing packers that you use with a grease gun, but IMO hand packed is better.

BTW NEVER spin a clean bearing with compressed air, it sounds cool, but it destroys the bearings. You can blow it out but don't let it spin.
SirAndy
QUOTE(wysri9 @ Jun 7 2020, 11:36 PM) *

This is a job on my build list. I would love to use an old club racer technique- “screwdriver trick and whack ‘em” leaves me none the wiser though..... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

@wysri9

Once you have the new bearing in, tighten the spindle nut (not sure what it is called, the big one with the slot) firmly by hand. At that point the big washer behind it should still move when you push it. Take a large flat blade screw driver, insert it into the slot on the nut and give it a "whack" with your wrist in the direction of tightening the nut.

Lock down the clamp and you are done ...
smile.gif

iankarr
If it helps, there’s a front wheel bearing video on the playlist link in my signature...
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 8 2020, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jun 8 2020, 01:07 PM) *

agree.gif Messy but you have to first wash out the cosmoline, put a big blob of grease in your palm and squeeze (both palms) the grease right through the bearings. There's bearing packers that you use with a grease gun, but IMO hand packed is better.

BTW NEVER spin a clean bearing with compressed air, it sounds cool, but it destroys the bearings. You can blow it out but don't let it spin.

agree.gif
This was my first thought. Smearing on the outside of the bearing will not work.

Another thought is in how you are installing the outer races in the rotor. They must be seated properly and square to each other. A burr or dirt between the seating surface and the outer race can cause the race to be installed crooked and be a problem
second wind
Thank you very much guys. So what is the best grease to use on wheel bearings?
gg
Mark Henry
I use Swepco 101, it also works for CV's.
falcor75
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhL1uAp_WCw

This is how I do it....but I chicken out and wear rubber gloves. biggrin.gif
second wind
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 8 2020, 11:45 AM) *

I use Swepco 101, it also works for CV's.

I looked up Swepco 101 and boy does it sound gnarly. What color is it? Does it matter as I can see black grease on my current bearing which indicates something I guess....most probably heat as the Mobile 1 grease starts out pink/red. Swepco 101 sure looks like the stuff to use. Thank you Mark Henry.
gg
wysri9
All very helpful! Thanks everyone!

smile.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.