Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car Transport
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Baumgardner
I'm having a 914 shipped from Scottsdale to Cincinnati. I've probably got at least a dozen quotes (using one of those internet services that send out to various shippers). They are all over the place from $700 to $1,900. I asked for enclosed though I suspect some of the cheaper quotes were open trailer. I'm not looking for the cheapest, I'm looking for a 1st rate carrier though and I know next to nothing about shippers offering bids. Any thoughts?
johnlush
Enclosed will most likely be in the upper range of your quoted prices. I figure enclosed transport should be about a $1/mile. Maybe a bit less with gas prices lower. Have you contacted the "Big Name" haulers yet like Intercity or Passport? Both are good - and their prices reflect that. Most major transport companies have standard routes and they are reluctant to deviate much. Coming out of Scottsdale shouldn't be an issue. If you are going to contact a broker be very careful. Find someone that you can talk to and describe in detail what you want. Be picky and ask a lot of questions. Be willing to be flexible on the timeline if that helps to get a better carrier. The last car I had transported I used United Routes who is a broker. They found a carrier with a single car enlosed trailer that picked the car (Triumph TR7 blink.gif ) up in Illinois and delivered to me in Cheyenne two days later. The driver was very professional and I was really impressed. Below is the contact info for the guy I worked with. Be very specific about what you want and expect.

Good luck!

Laki Prousalis
United Routes LLC
786 259 0265
Laki@UnitedRoutes.com
www.UnitedRoutes.com

1970 Neun vierzehn
From fall 2006 to spring 2009, Stoddard Porsche "refreshed" my 1970 914/4. When it was completed (to my satisfaction), I had it shipped to my home in Cincinnati via INTERCITY LINES. Very satisfied with their service. They kept me appraised of when it left Cleveland (Mentor), where it was enroute, and when to expect it to arrive at my home. Cost was $578 (but that was eleven years ago)! I was very satisfied with the care and handling that they had shown for my 914. INTERCITY advertises in "PANORAMA" and "SPORTS CAR MARKET", both respectable periodicals and INTERCITY's phone number is 1.800.221.3936 or visit intercitylines.com.

Here are a few photos of the transport. They show the 914 leaving Stoddard and the others depict its arrival here at home in Loveland.

Paul Naberhaus
Charles Freeborn
Auto transport is a snake pit. Most of the online ones are brokers that hire out to who knows who. I used one that swore they ran their own trucks and they still hired it out. Whole process was a disaster.
The best is Reliable Carriers. If I was doing it again I'd use them. I've also heard good things about Intercity.
FlacaProductions
My conclusion is that unless you go with top-tier (Reliable, Intercity, Passport, etc.) it's a crap shoot. One exception - a mom/pop single-owner rig where you're dealing directly with THE people/person doing the actual work.

I had my 74 shipped from Tampa to Batesville, IN and it was fine but I went through a broker and I think I just got lucky - even though I did a lot of research and hand wringing. I had stipulated enclosed and it was (and it was a nice truck) - but it also got put on the top shelf which I didn't even think about. I think that's a key detail - you don't need it getting fluids dropped on it.

Click to view attachment
dcheek
Intercity Lines - The BEST!

https://intercitylines.com

Dave
stevend914
I've used Reliable, they were excellent
JOEPROPER
Spend the extra $$ and go with a professional outfit. Most transporters and cowboys that are out to bid from a broker.
Minerva's 914
As a Hagerty Driver's Club member I got a discount on Reliable Carriers to transport my 997 from Oyster Bay, NY to Chapel Hill, NC. $200 to move it off of Long Island to their climate controlled storage just off of I-95 to await a Reliable covered hauler to NC. Second transport was $900, so $1,100 end to end. I was VERY pleased with the service.Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I would caution against a broker. They will say anything to get your business and then you are in the barrel with all kinds of other cars awaiting to be hauled.

I have shipped 2 cars cross country and believe you are better off hiring a major company directly -no broker- or hiring a private hauler yourself where the person you hire is the one who arrives and does the transport.

Take lots of pictures of the exterior, interior, underside, engine compartment, etc. Make sure the date and time appears on the photos and send them to the shipper before they depart with the car. Inventory anything in the car and make sure it is on the manifest. Check to be sure they have actual valid insurance and what the coverage is in the case of damage or a total loss. Make sure the cover the car if it will have another car riding on top of it. Brake fluid, oil, etc drips.

Check with your insurance re coverage in the event of a problem. May consider putting a fully charged phone in the car somewhere so you can track its location/progress.

Oh, I shipped one car enclosed and it arrived w/o a problem. I shipped my 914-6 open transport and it too arrived with no issues, but dirty, as expected. But since it was going to be coming apart, I was not concerned about that.
Good luck.
Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.