Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under the body swaybar w/911 front suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hi guys - happy Monday.

Could someone check me on this please: if I use a 911 front strut and 911 a-arms do I need anything else to run a 911 under the body sway bar?

Thanks!
colingreene
the struts are not important to the under body sway bar.
Only the a arms and the mounts for the sway bar that go from the body to the cross member are needed.
that is how my car is set up
Tdskip
QUOTE(colingreene @ Jun 8 2020, 11:04 AM) *

Only the a arms and the mounts for the sway bar that go from the body to the cross member are needed.

Good morning - thanks for the response.

So sounds like I need to source a 911 crossmember then.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 8 2020, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(colingreene @ Jun 8 2020, 11:04 AM) *

Good morning - thanks for the response.

So sounds like I need to source a 911 crossmember then.

No. The 911 crossmember is almost identical to a 914 one. There aren't any different mounting points.

A arms are also similar but have different number of splines for the torsion bar but if you use an underbody swaybar, it will use different mounting points (on the a arms) than the through the body bar.
914Sixer
Under body 911 bars ONLY work with the aluminum crossbar and the metal tab bars holding the bar
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen, got it now.

Thanks!
Chris914n6
It will work with the stock round steel tube crossbar. Just need to drill & tap for one of the bracket bolts.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Thanks Chris
Tdskip
Just following up here to make sure I understand and this thread is clear for future use.

The 911 aluminum crossmember started with 1974+ cars or started with SC? I think '74+ but would be good to know.

The reason you want the aluminum one, other than weight, is that it has premade mounting points for the swaybar mounting points, correct?

Thanks!

brant
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 11 2020, 08:00 AM) *

Just following up here to make sure I understand and this thread is clear for future use.

The 911 aluminum crossmember started with 1974+ cars or started with SC? I think '74+ but would be good to know.

The reason you want the aluminum one, other than weight, is that it has premade mounting points for the swaybar mounting points, correct?

Thanks!

don't quote me on this
but I think later than 74
I want to say it started with the 930
maybe 76

the aluminum cross member is rumored to be less strong and have flex
that is debated though to some extent..

Its an expensive piece that saves a little weight
fell within my weight formula for building my race car

$50/lb

Tdskip
Thanks @brant .

So just to run this to ground (if we haven't already, sorry) are there any earlier / non-aluminum crossmembers that have the correct under the body sway bar mount provisions?
burton73
Tom,

I sent you a PM. I think I can help you on this.

Bob B
Tdskip
Thanks Bob, helpful as always!

It would still be good to know if any of the earlier cross members support the under the body set up. Don’t think so but want to be explicit.
burton73
Tom,

The arrow shows the rubber holder for the ends of the sway bar. Some one sells these parts to weld on. Tarret may be the people

Best Bob

Click to view attachment
burton73
Front Sway Bar Bushings;Click to view attachment

Kind of looks like this but this is not it.

Bob B
burton73
Porsche 911/930 FRONT Sway Bar Bushing for 20 mm Bar Set of 4 O.E.M.
$42.75
Free Shipping

[attachmentid=748042

OK this is what you want if you go with the under sway bar

Bob
burton73
Tom has a 67 912-steel rack. Will 86 Carrera A arms and torsion bars fit right as far as the splines go?

In my build for my V8 car, steel would be better because of me having to move one body brace to fit my 3 master cylinders

Bob B

Chris914n6
^^ Yes. Mine is Carrera susp on the stock 914 crossbrace as it fit better with the radiator hoses.
Had the Al crossbrace before I did the waterpumper swap.
burton73
What do you use for the spline on the torsion rods? Are you using an A Arms that are Carrera and end adjusters are also Carrera? I am a little confused but at 68 years old that is happening more that I would like.

A steel unit would work better for me than my Aluminum cross bar because of how I had to mount the 3 master cylinders for clutch and brake.

Bob B

andys
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 11 2020, 02:43 PM) *

Porsche 911/930 FRONT Sway Bar Bushing for 20 mm Bar Set of 4 O.E.M.
$42.75
Free Shipping

[attachmentid=748042

OK this is what you want if you go with the under sway bar

Bob

There are two sizes of sway bar, 20mm and 22mm (I think that's right??), so the sway bar bushings may be different; might want to check on that.

Andys
Chris914n6
^^ the adjustment caps match the torsen bars which match the arms... so all 911. Just the crossbrace is 914.

SC is 20mm, and the Carrera is 22mm, I think. I know my Carrera is not the smaller 20mm.
Tdskip
QUOTE(andys @ Jun 12 2020, 02:54 PM) *

There are two sizes of sway bar, 20mm and 22mm (I think that's right??), so the sway bar bushings may be different; might want to check on that.

Andys

Thanks that is right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.