Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: resurrection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914andy
Many years ago I acquired one of my dream cars. Had it about a week and t-boned a kid that ran a stop sign. Decided to try and save it. It will never be a concours car but that's not why I have it. I want to drive the hell out of it.
first question would be on changing the oil. Doesn't appear to be a drain plug on the oil tank. Have opened the oil line in front of the left rear wheel. Not much oil came out. I will drop the sump plate when my gaskets arrive. Has all of the oil slowly migrated from the tank to the engine over the years? I have pulled the plugs and turned the engine over by hand...so that's good.Carbs have been cleaned. Shooting for Wed to try and bring it back to life...
Nice to be back driving.gif Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
Hi Andy - Terrific to see your car back together. I shudder when I look at the accident photos. There is no drain plug on the oil tank. You drain it by cracking open the lines at the bottom, next to the hook the lines sit on. I would expect that the oil has indeed drained down into the engine. Interesting to see how much comes out when you remove the sump plate. Good luck on restarting that baby. Post a video of it if you can. Car looks terrific BTW. Cheers, beerchug.gif Michael
porschetub
QUOTE(914andy @ Jun 9 2020, 07:32 AM) *

Many years ago I acquired one of my dream cars. Had it about a week and t-boned a kid that ran a stop sign. Decided to try and save it. It will never be a concours car but that's not why I have it. I want to drive the hell out of it.
first question would be on changing the oil. Doesn't appear to be a drain plug on the oil tank. Have opened the oil line in front of the left rear wheel. Not much oil came out. I will drop the sump plate when my gaskets arrive. Has all of the oil slowly migrated from the tank to the engine over the years? I have pulled the plugs and turned the engine over by hand...so that's good.Carbs have been cleaned. Shooting for Wed to try and bring it back to life...
Nice to be back driving.gif Click to view attachment

What a shame ….such a nice car.
All the oil you are looking for will be in the crank case mostly so drain from there,the stock oil tank never had a drain bung unlike the 911 version.
Good luck.
914andy
Thanks gents. With a little prep work completed ,engine fired right up pray.gif
I knew this was going to be a pain in the arse, but the clutch is stuck. Anyone have any black magic tricks to get the disc to release? I sure hate to have to pull the trans to do that. it will be what it will be ...just thought someone might know a few tricks.
thanks
Andy
Frankvw
stuck clutch...well...if the plate is stuck to the flywheel....maybe this could help.....try outside ...nothing in front of you. Just in case....
Put car in highest gear, pump the brake and hold it with your foot. Other foot press clutch pedal as far as possible and hold. start car. the power of the starter could possibly break free the stuck parts.
theer
Beautiful car!

Stuck clutch: Is it stuck engaged or disengaged? Can you tell what is stuck (TO bearing, clutch fork bearings, both?). Either way, you can try to move/shake/manipulate the clutch fork manually to loosen things up.

All else fails, I'd try to get a drop or two of penetrating oil on the shaft and/or clutch fork ends, if possible, and let it sit.. might pop something loose.

I had this happen on a 944 which had sat for years. I pushed the clutch pedal down and it stayed down. I stormed off trying to figure out what to do. Came back a few days later and it had popped itself back up. Hasn't been a problem since. Hoping you have similar luck with yours!
Cairo94507
I have heard that if you try to push start it in a higher gear it may break it loose. I have never done that, but heard it works. beerchug.gif
914andy
I do believe that it is stuck to the flywheel ... engine running - push in clutch and slow try a gear ....gonna grind ....
Off to try the starting in gear method ...and anything else that comes to my feeble old mind beerchug.gif
Andy
gereed75
Yes most of the oil will be in the crankcase.

Many folks (including me) put a union in the line at the connection of the tank line to engine line. Then drill and tap on the flat of the union for a very short M6 bolt with a copper washer.

To drain oil tank just unscrew the bolt, re-anneal the washer and replace bolt (mine is drilled for safety wire just in case). Way better than breaking the lines

Beautiful car, good luck with clutch.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
stuck clutch is easy, put it in second push the clutch in have it headed on a slight down hill and crank the car
it will then break loose
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.