Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to duplicate notch on rear valance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
Hi there,

What is the best procedure to duplicate the notch on the rear valance ? Going for a second exhaust tip on the right side. Cutting out entirely is one option but best would be to have the rolled inner section like on the left side. Any thoughts ?

thks in advance

Dax
Olympic 914
Did the same thing on mine. I followed the suggestion of @Tygaboy making a hammer form to shape the cutout.

It worked pretty good.

First I had to fix the previous cutouts for the old ANSA /Monza muffler.

Made a pattern of the other side then reversed it and transferred it to a piece of plywood. Then shaped it to fit snuggly into the valence.

I a no Metal Surgeon, So I don't care about a little filler to smooth things out.

But the pictures tell a better story.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Real happy with the way it turned out.

Others may have different or better suggestions of how to do this.

Cairo94507
That looks terrific. Well worth the effort. beerchug.gif
Montreal914
Very nice! smilie_pokal.gif

Thank you for sharing. beerchug.gif
ben*james
Looks great. Nice work!

Watching...
Frankvw
Really good ! the cutout was not very hard to imagine but I was wondering how to make that 'fat edge', really clever (and simple if you are a bit handy) to fold/bend it in like that !
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Rand
Great share Tom!
gereed75
hey Tom,

Now that we are Green (whatever that means), I would like to see your car.

Lets meet up some evening. My phone four 12 848 90 eightyfive. Gary
tygaboy
You did a really nice job on that. I think it turned out wonderfully.

And I can't resist:

HAMMER TIME! smash.gif smash.gif Break it down...
ValcoOscar
Just beautiful...

Isn't it amazing how we can share thoughts, experience & ideas, and yield such great results?

Kudos to all involved.

Oscar

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
bkrantz
Nice!
dax1969
Thks man. Had the same in mind but it is great to see the pictures. Hope I have the as much patience like you do ... I am quickly tempted to take my dremel and .... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Just got the news that my triad west exhaust will be ready to ship around 15th june.

thks again
Dax
DRPHIL914
aktion035.gif that looks great, had this done for me about 8 years ago when I bought the Triad. looks like it was always that way and I like the look of the dual out like this. I have often though about trying one of Ben's new mufflers but it would have to have the dual out just like this and all the models I've seen are either left or center out, so will stick with my current one an really no reason to change, I like the sound, not too loud not too quiet , and not ear breaking like some are on highway cruise speeds. I did keep my original valance just in case I ever went back to OEM but I don't see that happening.... wish I had the skills to do that myself, but again, nice job, very inspiring! What did you paint with? did you use stone guard?
Olympic 914
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jun 10 2020, 08:33 AM) *

aktion035.gif that looks great, had this done for me about 8 years ago when I bought the Triad.

What did you paint with? did you use stone guard?

Used SEM Trim Black. No stone guard. Put this on both bumpers, valences and rocker covers. They claim no primer is necessary But I put epoxy primer underneath anyways.

PlaysWithCars
Looks great Tom. I did the same thing years ago when I put a dual out Triad on my car. It made for a very tidy, factory(ish) look.

Used the same approach on my current car to make a valence relief for the dual pea shooter tips coming out of the center of the sport muffler.
euro911
Same here. Cut it out and hammered the edges over for a Triad.

Click to view attachment

Ended up going with a Banana muffler after a couple years ... sold the Triad and Valance to TC

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.