Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
have a nice stainless steel muffler with 2 outlets, I like the look. Valence has been notched ( thanks to a recent post on how to make the notch look better! ) but the noise is louder than I want. Any ideas on how to quiet it down without choking the engine??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Dion
Google “baffles” for motorcycle exhausts. I had a stainless Turbothomas Dual tip muffler on my 4cyl. The decibels and drone were a bit much at highway speed. The baffles cut it down significantly. There are a huge selection of brands and types. Find one that fits your i.d. I had to cut mine down for length of tube.
Good luck!
Mark Henry
Has it got louder? Your muffler is SS and I'm pretty sure it's baffles, not packing that can burn/blow out.
When I worked on it last the O2 sensor bung had pretty crappy threads. I chased the threads, but make sure the bung plug is still in place. If it blew out you should have noticed an immediate change in tone and loudness. If it did blow out I'd either get a new bung installed or I'd weld it shut.

If it's not that a stock banana is about the only thing quieter.
mb911
Look up car chemistry inserts.. They work great..

Also note that we have made thousands of mufflers over the last 20 years and dual outs are always a crap shoot from the owners perspective. What greatly effects the tone, and drone potential is CR, timing, camshaft, tire diameter, gear ratio, and length of header.

I strongly recommend potential clients to go single outlet unless they truely understand that the second pipe will not help performance but rather the look.

Ironically the 4cyl 914s are not as drastically impacted by the above criteria. Just had a member here contact me about the mufflers @mepstein is selling and said the 4cyl muffler "sport" is fantastic on his car.
Mark Henry
Ben the mufflers Mark and you are selling are definitely to loud for Ian. When I drove the teen last, about 5 years ago, it was fairly quiet just a bit of sporty grunt sound at WOT. Easy to have a conversation at 70mph with the top off.
mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 11 2020, 05:02 AM) *

Ben the mufflers Mark and you are selling are definitely to loud for Ian. When I drove the teen last, about 5 years ago, it was fairly quiet just a bit of sporty grunt sound at WOT. Easy to have a conversation at 70mph with the top off.

To clarify @ Mark Henry those are the inexpensive line.. Mark buys them from me in qty's and he sells to whomever so I am not really involved in 90% of it.. What I do make a fair amount of are the quiet muffler technology mufflers.. They are stock quiet.. Just wanted to clarify
mepstein
Sell the 2 out and get one of Ben’s quiet mufflers. Great flow and all stainless construction for lifetime durability. Cost $90-100 to ship to most of Canada.
Ian Stott
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 11 2020, 08:55 AM) *

Has it got louder? Your muffler is SS and I'm pretty sure it's baffles, not packing that can burn/blow out.
When I worked on it last the O2 sensor bung had pretty crappy threads. I chased the threads, but make sure the bung plug is still in place. If it blew out you should have noticed an immediate change in tone and loudness. If it did blow out I'd either get a new bung installed or I'd weld it shut.

If it's not that a stock banana is about the only thing quieter.

I will check the bung, just had it up on a hoist this week getting new tires and bleeding the brakes, plus had my MVI done. I think I would have noticed the bung missing but will check. If still in place I will check out the baffles route. I am in an underground parking garage now and maybe it just seems louder in there. I do not want to choke the engine to death but if I can tone it down a bit that would be good.

Ian
Mark Henry
Not much you can do about the baffles as they're welded in and the plug blew out it would be real noisy.
Likely a combo of they're noisy engine to begin with, an underground garage amplifies the noise and you're getting old. poke.gif

biggrin.gif
Steve
I loved the look and sound of the Triad on my six, but the drone was ear shattering and it was hard to hear the passenger in my car. I switched to Bens quiet muffler and couldn’t be happier. No loss in power, no more drone and much quieter. Also sounds great, but not as loud. I immediately sold the Triad.
Marv's3.6six
I also replaced a droney loud B&B muffler for one of Bens custom stainless works of art. I could not be more happy with it. No drone, not loud. My brother paid it the biggest compliment by saying.... it sounds like a Porsche.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 12 2020, 09:26 AM) *

I loved the look and sound of the Triad on my six, but the drone was ear shattering and it was hard to hear the passenger in my car. I switched to Bens quiet muffler and couldn’t be happier. No loss in power, but no more drone and much quieter. Also sounds great, but not as loud. I immediately sold the Triad.

the triad on a /6 must be way different than on my 2.0 4, because I do NOT have that drone at any RPM, i've also heard the comment from people- wow that sounds great, like a Porsche /4 should. with that said ben's look and sound awesome, I would probably get one eventually if I can get him to make one with a dual outlet on each side not center.

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Jun 12 2020, 11:45 AM) *

the triad on a /6 must be way different than on my 2.0 4, because I do NOT have that drone at any RPM, i've also heard the comment from people- wow that sounds great, like a Porsche /4 should. with that said ben's look and sound awesome, I would probably get one eventually if I can get him to make one with a dual outlet on each side not center.

I can't speak for a 6, but the Triad on my 4 is loud and there is a bit of a drone.

I'm thinking of replacing it.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jun 12 2020, 12:05 PM) *

I can't speak for a 6, but the Triad on my 4 is loud and there is a bit of a drone.

Zach

Zach - do you still have Ben’s prototype T4 muffler?
@VaccaRabite
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 12 2020, 12:11 PM) *

Zach

@VaccaRabite

I do, and was just talking to Ben about it.
I'm going with one of his quiet mufflers, and I think the prototype is what you are selling now.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Jun 12 2020, 12:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 12 2020, 12:11 PM) *

Zach

@VaccaRabite

I do, and was just talking to Ben about it.
I'm going with one of his quiet mufflers, and I think the prototype is what you are selling now.

Zach

Theo will like the quiet muffler. driving.gif
Ian Stott
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 12 2020, 10:11 AM) *

Not much you can do about the baffles as they're welded in and the plug blew out it would be real noisy.
Likely a combo of they're noisy engine to begin with, an underground garage amplifies the noise and you're getting old. poke.gif

biggrin.gif

Old, yes! But I look really good!
Mark Henry
I just realized something Ian, isn't your muffler married to your heat exchangers?
Ian you need to take pics of the muffler flange to exchanger area.

I assume Ian (and I) didn't mention the make because we didn't want this to be become a pissing contest. His and my bad.

It's a Tangerine 2.0 -2 out. Personally I liked it, build quality and TIG welding is excellent and I liked the sound. Only bad was the issue with the O2 bung treads.
Ian and I dove 1-1/2 hours from the airport to my house, 70-80 mph, roof off, talked the whole way and we weren't shouting. I put a 1.8 Ljet in his 2.0, in sorting Ian's problems I daily drove his teen for nearly a month...loved it. biggrin.gif

I can't remember but I've got a suspicion this one Chris modified/welded 1.7/1.8 SSI's to go on the muffler more like a 2.0. IIRC Chris used a non-stock flange arraignment. So Ian you might be looking at new heat exchangers as well, but you could get a fair buck for the Tangerine muffler and SSI's so that would offset some of the cost.

I don't know if this can be done with a Tangerine muffler but with other systems you could plug one of the tips to make it quieter. You would have to ask Chris.
Edit I'd also check the flanges and make sure they're tight and not leaking.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 12 2020, 03:06 PM) *

I just realized something Ian, isn't your muffler married to your heat exchangers?
Ian you need to take pics of the muffler flange to exchanger area.

I'm pretty sure it is one of the ones I mated to the HEs.
You can't block off one outlet to quiet it down.
mb911
I think the tangerine mufflers are great.. Sounds like something simple plus the parking garage makes it sound louder
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 12 2020, 05:45 PM) *

I think the tangerine mufflers are great.. Sounds like something simple plus the parking garage makes it sound louder

Like I said even with the quietest muffler, the valve train on a T4 will make a hell of a racket in an underground garage.
Plus Ian has 96mm KB's that rattle pretty good when cold.
Ian Stott
This past weekend I did the Cabot Trail,( one of the best rides in Canada ) spirited driving, great weather and I was behind a Ducati monster with a tiny little muffler which was not stock, now that was loud!

I am not as concerned about the loudness of mine now, after hearing that!

I also questioned the people travelling behind me about how loud was my car ( we were a group, 2 Ducati motorcycles, one with stock exhaust; and a brand new 911 ) their comments were positive, that my teener was not too loud. At idle it sounds rear nice and as Mark said even with the top off at 70 MPH you could carry on a conversation, it is louder than stock, and sounds really loud in the underground parking! I start up and scoot out of there right away so I do not antagonize my neighbours!

Thanks to all who chimed in with options, opinions and advice.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.