Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wysri9
Does anyone have an annotated picture of the connections on the headlight switch. I am nearly there with understanding it, but cannot seem to get the Instrument light rheostat to work so wondering if I am testing the wrong connection....... WTF.gif Any assistance appreciated! Its all custom wiring so the harness wire colours wont help me.....

My list as I understand so far is as follows:-
K = Boot and licence plate
15=Power from ignition
30=power in to auxiliary lights and headlight motors
30b= power out to headlight motor
56= power to headlights
56K = power to headlight motors
57=Parking light indicator
58L = Left Park
58R= Right Park
58A = Instrument lights
58b= ??

Another way of asking the question is which connections do I need for power in, power out to sidelights/parking lights, power out to headlights and power out via rheostat to instrument lights??

I am using relays for the headlights to limit current through the switch so its just pilot current.

Thanks in advance.....!!
JeffBowlsby
Help us help you. What year 914 and how many poles does your switch have, 10 or 11?
bdstone914
The rheostat can fail. If my memory serves me correctly you can jump 58a to 58b and the instrument light will be on full bright.
Are you trying to also control the side marker light brightness?
76-914
If it is broken it is easy to spot the broken spring in the rear. beerchug.gif
barefoot
This might help a little, not sure of year:

Click to view attachment
wysri9
Thanks for the responses guys. Its an 11 pole switch and no I do not want a light display from my parking lights! On and off will do fie for those smile.gif

The current flow diagram I have shows a connection via the rheostat between 58a and b which had me wondering whether I just need to jump those two...I am far from clear on that though......
JeffBowlsby
smile.gif
wysri9
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 12 2020, 06:17 AM) *

smile.gif

Jeff

Thats a real help if I was plugging back in to the old loom, but I decided a long time ago to ditch the old loom and make my own......so its the function of each connection that is now important.......Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Here are pics of the lovely old switch - amazing what 2 minutes with some chrome cleaner can do (and yes I know nobody will ever see it....)
wysri9
And for completeness here is the Hazard switch - and yes I have unravelled all the functions ....

Click to view attachment
wysri9
Lovely switches.....Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Its a bigger help than you think. Chase the wires/colors on the factory schematic and see where they end up.
wysri9
Jeff

You are teasing me ..and testing me which is good! Is my initial list correct? I have studied the current flow diagram but am still left a bit mystified....Probaly because I am a mechanical not an electrical engineer... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This is my current (pun unintended....) understanding
K = Boot and licence plate
15=Power from ignition
30=power in to auxiliary lights and headlight motors
30b= power out to headlight motor
56= power to headlights
56K = power to headlight motors
57=Parking light indicator
58L = Left Park
58R= Right Park
58A = Instrument lights
58b= ??
wysri9
OK guys - more study of current flow diagrams and testing of the headlight switch suggests I need to do the following in my GT style build with headlight motor delete and no parking lights.

Terminal 30 - Power in for sidelights and instrument lights
Terminal 58L/58R power out to sidelights - use one or other
Terminal 15 - power in for headlights
Terminal 56 - Power out to headlights
Terminal 58a - Power out to instrument lights
Terminal K-terminal 58b bridged
Terminals 30b, 56k and 57 not used

Both inputs to 15 and 30 will be fused.

It would be great if somebody could validate that?????

Thanks in advance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.