Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All Bearings NOT Created Equal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Ran across this nasty looking NOS bearing. Quality has slipped even more than I thought.
stownsen914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 11 2020, 10:42 AM) *

Ran across this nasty looking NOS bearing. Quality has slipped even more than I thought.

Makes you wonder what's on the inside …

Clearly not all bearings are created equal these days. Dare I ask what is the preferred brand these days? And I'd guess buying from a reputable vendor is important too.
IronHillRestorations
I've got a stash of about 8 NOS SKF that are about 20 years old.
falcor75
It may be a fake. Certainly looks like it from the quality. That Canada stamp looks really wierd...
second wind
I just replaced a destroyed FAG front wheel bearing and went with FAG once again. I hope that it will be ok. In the picture you posted are you referring to the "splay" in the casting as the obvious flaw? Anything else I am missing? Please list all of the flaws you see. Thank you very much.
gg
914Sixer
Just the flaw on the edge. Looks like it would cut into rear hub. Also the seal looks a little ragged. It very well may be a fake.
914_7T3
Blame Canada!
bzettner
Pop the seal out for us and let's see how much "factory" grease is in there....unless you're installing it.
nickg
use the bearing number and look for Volvo bearings if you want the old good ones
tons of them out there
bkrantz
I think they mis-spelled "CHINA".
Literati914
QUOTE(nickg @ Jun 11 2020, 09:03 PM) *

use the bearing number and look for Volvo bearings if you want the old good ones
tons of them out there

@nickg
I googled the p/n & volvo, nothing came up..do you know which models might interchange with a 914 ?

nickg
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jun 11 2020, 06:42 PM) *

QUOTE(nickg @ Jun 11 2020, 09:03 PM) *

tons of them out there

@nickg
I googled the p/n & volvo, nothing came up..do you know which models might interchange with a 914 ?

old ones. 244/245 etc saab 900 ( the old style) e36 bmw etc
thinking about it...the saab or the bmw would give the oldest inventory
used the industry number 545495ad

here is a german one nos
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FAG-BEARING-894276...hcAAOSwQtJcqTHA

here are the bmw numbers
33411130617, 33411468747 its just an e36 rear bearing...it can also come in a kit
here is an skf one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-SKF-Wheel-...6!US!-1

second wind
Ok guys and gals....I will try to be brief...so on a 350 round trip drive last weekend (missed the June 6 rally) on way home my right front wheel makes a horrendous sound at a stop sign and I pull over. I touch the hub and it is HOT! Driver side not so much. So I limp home and and pull hub and FAG bearing cage is toast. I get all new parts (FAG again) and grease and complete job today. Had trouble getting caliper back on but succeeded. Took a two mile test drive and hub was a lot warmer than driver side again. Dear 914 guru friend said tighten hub nut just enough so that the washer between bearing and locking hub nut is able to move a bit....not to loose and not too tight...like as feeler gauge. Reported back to guru friend and he said go drive 20 miles and report back, not just two miles. Welcome any comments or advice. Do bearings "break in" or will my dragging brake pads loosen up a bit? Please reply....thank you!
gg
porschetub
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 12 2020, 02:42 AM) *

Now you have got me thinking idea.gif ,I have a bearing to change on RH side rear ,bought from local mate @ SKF ,has almost unreadable numbers and is made in Italy and now I'am thinking its a knock off and the fit is suspect as the box number comes back as BMW front to suit many models WTF.gif
This bearing is rather expensive so of the fit is wrong it's in the bin.
Comments please TIA.
falcor75
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 12 2020, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 12 2020, 02:42 AM) *

Now you have got me thinking idea.gif ,I have a bearing to change on RH side rear ,bought from local mate @ SKF ,has almost unreadable numbers and is made in Italy and now I'am thinking its a knock off and the fit is suspect as the box number comes back as BMW front to suit many models WTF.gif
This bearing is rather expensive so of the fit is wrong it's in the bin.
Comments please TIA.

Well the same bearing sizes are used for many cars. Our rear bearings are also found on Saabs etc. SKF does have plants in Italy (and 23 other countries) so its entirely possible your bearing is made there.
76-914
Slits aka Ron used to get those from bearings Volvo also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.