Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think its the oil filter something
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
oil pools up on the filter rim and spills over....WTF?

Didn't notice any oil anywhere else on the block trickling down toward the filter

something is DEFINATELY going on......

gklinger
filter's loose?
bd1308
QUOTE (gklinger @ Jul 9 2005, 07:21 PM)
filter's loose?

2 filters, both hand-tight...and it still leaks. I need a pic of the galley plug so I can make sure that one didnt fall out or crack or spontaneously combust.

actually better yet a pic of the FRONT of a typical 1.7 would be splendid.
TravisNeff
Give them another 1/4 to 1/2 turn after wiping them clean and try again.
bd1308
the other one was on rock tight and it didnt help.....honestly I am pretty sure that its teh filter, but its like on REAL tight and still nothing.

RTV?
TravisNeff
If you are only using hand pressure and can easily give it a little more turn why not? Seems academic to me.
Rand
No RTV... just a little oil on the rubber gasket before snugging it up. There is a good rubber gasket, right? Are all the sealing surfaces clean and smooth?
bd1308
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jul 9 2005, 08:39 PM)
If you are only using hand pressure and can easily give it a little more turn why not? Seems academic to me.

dood i tried even tightening it with a filter wrench and STILL leaks.... drop drop drop drop drop drop drop
bd1308
QUOTE (Rand @ Jul 9 2005, 08:40 PM)
No RTV... just a little oil on the rubber gasket before snugging it up. There is a good rubber gasket, right? Are all the sealing surfaces clean and smooth?

as good as I can get...BOSCH and still nothing. NAPA gold and still leaks......

TravisNeff
If you have ruled out the oil filter, next is the oil pressure switch and the oil cooler seals. When they leak it leaks right on top of the filter.
bd1308
okay...that's what I wanted to know. Heard its a bitch to replace the oil cooler seals....dunno about the pressure switch though
TravisNeff
pressure switch is easy, however you need to be careful. Right next to the distributor with the wire attached to it, you can remove the wire and put a socket on the switch and barely turn it, fuck that up and it gets ugly.

Oil cooler seals are a pain but can be done from beneath the car.
bd1308
wait...you mean...how can i fuck up unscrewing the pressure switch

oil cooler seals...mechanic is doing that one
TravisNeff
If you overtighten the switch. It is tapered so if something gets boogere up you can't run a tap through it. I was suggesting that you tighten it up just a smidgen.
dmenche914
Hope it is that little idiot light switch, very easy to fit. Little easlier to get at with the dizzie removed, but then you got to reset the timing.

The switch could be loose, or the oil is coming from the switch internally, they sometimes leak between the metal case, and plastic top that the blade connector is set in.

When you intall the new one, or reinstall the old one if it is good, do NOT over tighten, it is a pipe thread, ie tappered thread, so do NOT tighten until it bottoms out, else you will have stripped the treads in the case. A small amout of pipe dope should be applied on threads, or teflon tape, but do not over use the Teflon tape, any gets in the oil system, it could clog a passage.

You may also now find you have oil all over inside the engine tin, on the cylinders and such, so it may continue to drip for a while after you fixxed it, so take some engine cleaner, and spray in the spark plug tin openings (leave plugs in place!!!) spray the cleaner in every opening in the tin you can find. Foamy Engine Brite works great then after soaking, use water to wash it all away.

You don't want a coating of oil on the cooling fins, as it will attract dirt, and form a heat insulating layer, reducing engine cooling.

best o luck
bd1308
yea! I hope it's that too...I have a extra in my 2L that I could use....otherwise my oil cooler seal replacement is gonna be bad...just watching teh Raby vid...took him like 5 minutes to change the seals but he did it with the fan unit off....
rhodyguy
britt, stop overtightening the oil pressure switch. remove it. if there's oill around where it would be, wipe it down and reinstall the switch. start the engine briefly and look back down with a flashlight to see if the oil returns. i hate to ruin your evening but i'm pretty sure your cooler seals have gone south.

k
bd1308
yeah....it only makes sense..

okay do i have to take the fan shroud off? or do i just slip a box-end wrench in between the shroud and the cooler?
scotty b
Britt Iknow you don't want to hear this, but at this point instead of guessing and questioning it would probably be in your best interest to drop the engine, remove the fan shroug and replace all of the seals so you won't have to keep going throiugh this. You actually hsould have replaced them before putting the engine in, but that is history now. Do them all once and go drive the damn car for a change laugh.gif R
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.