Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear stub axle question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stltri
Planning to replace rear bearings, I noticed that when I removed the rear axle nut (30mm), there was significant drag turning the nut on the driver's side all the way out, while the passenger nut turned freely after loosening. The driver side nut has resistance going back in after one turn then stops, while the passenger nut turns all the way in. Does this mean than the stub axle threads on the driver side is messed up? Can I chase this with a die or do I replace with another stub axle?
falcor75
Start with swapping sides on the nuts alone to see if its the axle thread or nut thread that is causing the drag.
Stltri
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Jun 11 2020, 11:00 PM) *

Start with swapping sides on the nuts alone to see if its the axle thread or nut thread that is causing the drag.

Tried that. Looks like the passenger nut won’t go in either. The driver nut goes in on passenger axle but with very slight drag.
falcor75
Aaah ok. It is probably cheaper to buy a used stub on here than to buy a thread die in that size.
barefoot
Try using lapping compound and running the nut on & off several times, this should help.
BillC
You could also try a thread repair file on the stub. This is the kit I have: https://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-Thread-Rep...KRHC/ref=sr_1_2 . It has both SAE and metric thread files and works reasonably well.
Mark Henry
Plus inspect the threads and use a small file to clean up any damage. Often it's just a few small points of damage to the threads.
Stltri
Good recommendations! I will get some lapping compound and also a thread file and see if I can reuse the same stub... otherwise, I guess I will have to replace the stub.
bdstone914
@Stltri
' date='Jun 12 2020, 08:12 AM' post='2824394']
Good recommendations! I will get some lapping compound and also a thread file and see if I can reuse the same stub... otherwise, I guess I will have to replace the stub.
[/quote]

I have a five gallon bucket of stub axle paper weights. Free to good home.
Stltri
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Jun 12 2020, 08:29 AM' post='2824400']
@Stltri
' date='Jun 12 2020, 08:12 AM' post='2824394']
[/quote]

I have a five gallon bucket of stub axle paper weights. Free to good home.
[/quote]

I might need at least one... among other things I discover along the way.

Thanks!
Stltri
Quick update.. Tried the thread repair file without success but was able to free up the resistance using the nut and some lapping compound and ran the nut in and out of the axle a few times with impact.. cleaned off after with brake clean. Nut now spins smoothly. smile.gif

Now, trying to figure finish up outer CV assembly. Noticed that bolts were loose, and that gasket was falling apart, which may explain all the greasy sling inside the T/A and also an occasional clunk. Peculiar that crush washers were used on bolts instead of Schnorr washers?? Should I diassemble the other axle also? But Im concerned about the following now..

I cant replace the C-shaped snap ring on the current axle. Some described hammering with a socket over clip and some used a press. I have a press but cant picture where to position the axle (I still have the inner CV in place). Dont I damage the inner and outer CV by applying pressure on opposite ends of the axle?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.