Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
My 73 originally had chrome bumpers, but the PO painted them black, after sanding the chrome--and some crappy repair. The rear is pretty straight, but the right end on the front got dinged pretty hard and poorly fixed.

Any guesses on how repairable this is? For those who know about chroming, any reasons for me not to try getting the metal back in the proper shape? Or do chrome shops have reasons to do all the work in house?

Other advice?
gereed75
Hopefully Oscar will chime in but in general, the metal must be straight because you can not plate over bondo.

I suspect the few bumper rechrome guys left all have pretty good hammer dolly guys. Yours looks fixable.
bkrantz
@valcoOscar

Oscar, can I get your opinion?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 13 2020, 08:41 PM) *

@valcoOscar

Oscar, can I get your opinion?

Absolutely worth repairing. Last resort is to splice in a piece from another bumper. Did that on about 7 of the 117 bumpers I processed a few years back.

Oscar

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
bkrantz
Thanks for your advice and encouragement. I worked on the bumper for a couple of hours today. Better but still far from true.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 14 2020, 06:48 PM) *

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. I worked on the bumper for a couple of hours today. Better but still far from true.

PM me if you need help....I may be able to fit in to bring is back to life.

Oscar

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.