Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch cable bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aualexa1
I was adjusting the clutch cable on my ‘73 1.7L today, and I noticed that there are some dried up pieces of rubber/plastic in the hole where the clutch cable goes through the engine support cross mount. I cleaned out the pieces and the cable is just free floating in the hole. Is there supposed to be some kind of bushing there? I can’t seem to find it on any pet diagrams. Anyone know a part number?

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Mikey914
It's part of the cable assembly. Not really required. but if you want you can zip tie the cable to the side of the bar where it goes through. You see that a lot.
Olympic 914
Or slide a piece of the corrugated split wire loom around the cable.
Rob-O
Hmmm... I might not be understanding this correctly but the only thing that goes through the engine support bar is the shift rod. That’s assuming your ‘73 has a side shifting transaxle which would’ve come in your car in ‘73.

The clutch cable comes from right around the center of the firewall And goes straight back to the pulley on the transaxle. It doesn’t pass through the mount (I think of the mounts as the part that is welded on the body) as the mounts are way off to the left and right of the engine, welded to the longitudinal.

Have any pics to post?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jun 14 2020, 10:02 AM) *
Hmmm... I might not be understanding this correctly but the only thing that goes through the engine support bar is the shift rod. That’s assuming your ‘73 has a side shifting transaxle which would’ve come in your car in ‘73.

The clutch cable comes from right around the center of the firewall And goes straight back to the pulley on the transaxle. It doesn’t pass through the mount (I think of the mounts as the part that is welded on the body) as the mounts are way off to the left and right of the engine, welded to the longitudinal.

Have any pics to post?

There is a extra hole in the bar on the passenger side ...
shades.gif

IPB Image
Mikey914
The side shift it Definitely passes through the small hole. I don;t think the early has a hole for it. Hence the zip tie.
914e
You could slice 1-2" of fuel hose down its length and slide it over cable and through the hole of the crossmember.
Aualexa1
Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve zip tied the cable in place for now and I’ve ordered a new cable from 914rubber. Might as well replace it with a new one.

Rob-o, here’s a pic with the zip ties in place:

SirAndy
QUOTE(Aualexa1 @ Jun 14 2020, 01:17 PM) *
Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve zip tied the cable in place for now and I’ve ordered a new cable from 914rubber. Might as well replace it with a new one.

My /4 had an extra sleeve around the cable that made it sit snug in the hole. Not sure if that was factory or done by a PO.
idea.gif

bbrock
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 14 2020, 03:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Aualexa1 @ Jun 14 2020, 01:17 PM) *

My /4 had an extra sleeve around the cable that made it sit snug in the hole. Not sure if that was factory or done by a PO.
idea.gif

I just bought a genuine Porsche cable a few months ago and yes, it had the extra section of sleeve where the cable passes through the hole. The suggestion of cutting a piece of fuel hose or tubing to put there would replicate what comes on the factory cable. I don't think it is as much for a snug fit as to provide extra protection from wear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.