Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock 914/6 aircleaner ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
I notice the early 2.0 911 air cleaners have the air horn hose piece attached for suction of fumes from to the tank,from the pics I have looked @ the 914/6 never had this... how did they vent the oil tank from the filler lateral pipe..if there was one? which I'am sure enough about.
Click to view attachment
Comments TIA.
pete000
The 914-6 air box is quite a bit different. Do a search, I know I posted a bunch of comparison pictures somewhere on here...
porschetub
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 13 2020, 04:31 PM) *

The 914-6 air box is quite a bit different. Do a search, I know I posted a bunch of comparison pictures somewhere on here...

Done a search and not come up with a lot....otherwise I wouldn't ask on here,cheers .
johnhora
In your picture of the 911 engine....The hose on the 911 snorkel is a pre-heater hose for cold starts via activating the heat inside the car. It is not connected to the oil tank. The oil tank vent is on the backside of the air-box opposite of the snorkel....you can see the oil hose connection in the links above. It's the silver cylinder object on the backside.
porschetub
Thanks Pete and John,further research indicates it as a pre-heat,so the hose connects from the oil filler lateral pipe on to the fitting shown @ the bottom of the picture below ?.
Click to view attachment
The fitting shown is a plastic one but mine is metal and has like a gauze @ one end,not sure how that functions.
gereed75
There are several features on this box that indicate this is not a six box - the vent fitting on a six box is metal ( this one is plastic) and a box intended for Weber’s has holes between the inlet openings for the Weber vents.

The basic plastic boxes are all basically the same between sixes and various 911 iterations, it is some small details that vary. I believe that the vent fitting is equipped with a wire screen which is probably to baffle back flame events, I think?

The snorkel that points to the distributor side is unique to the six AFAIK.
porschetub
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 14 2020, 09:01 AM) *

There are several features on this box that indicate this is not a six box - the vent fitting on a six box is metal ( this one is plastic) and a box intended for Weber’s has holes between the inlet openings for the Weber vents.

The basic plastic boxes are all basically the same between sixes and various 911 iterations, it is some small details that vary. I believe that the vent fitting is equipped with a wire screen which is probably to baffle back flame events, I think?

The snorkel that points to the distributor side is unique to the six AFAIK.

Thanks Greg,that was a sample pic mine is standard plastic fare with metal vent,pulled it off yesterday and yes that part appears to be a flame arrestor,its a separate piece that press fits into the vent on the inlet end.
I will buy a piece of 1 inch hose and hook it up as I need to get rid of the K&N breather I have off the oil filler,its not really the most efficient system and I don't want to use a catch can.
fixer34
Pulled my early -6 out today to get some pictures of other things, took some of the air box, horn, etc.

Basically, metal cap/top over air filter, metal vent with hose connection to oil tank, water drain pipe that connects to hose at rear of engine, snorkel points down and toward passenger side.

The pipes inside the air box were the early cold start nozzles.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.