Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjustable pushrod for measuring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I have one somewhere! WTF.gif

Anyone willing to loan me theirs? It is about time to set up the geometry. I know mine will show up as soon as I don’t need one anymore.

Of course I will pay the shipping. piratenanner.gif

Thanks,
Clark
Mark Henry
Type one push rod cut in half, tap for 1/4" threaded rod (IIRC), the rod, a couple of nuts...done.
You'll have to play with the length and remember you can't spin the engine the adjustable PR.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 13 2020, 10:52 AM) *

Type one push rod cut in half, tap for 1/4" threaded rod (IIRC), the rod, a couple of nuts...done.
You'll have to play with the length and remember you can't spin the engine the adjustable PR.

i pulled one of my old type 4 PR from storage. Had planned to give that a try today, but it is TIV.

On the length... I assume you cut the tube in 1/2, then maybe cut an 1" or so out of one end so I can "adjust" up and down plus the nuts.

Found this on TheSamba

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157398

He is working on a type 1, so I assume he has a type 1 PR. He does not use the nuts. That seems to be critical IIRC. once you get everything aligned, if you don't use nuts the PR could "self adjust" as you remove it.
Mark Henry
My instructions were abridged just a bit. smile.gif
I don't know if the T4 rod will work, but you would have to drill them out before tapping. More than the T1 PR, the T4 PR has a real small ID.
nditiz1
I have one I used when I set the rocker geometry. PM me if you need to barrow it.
malcolm2
Using the type 4 PR turned out OK. No extra drilling needed. I got a long 1/4 x 20 tpi bolt and cut it to fit and some nuts. tapped the hole. I measured it as less than 0.200". I believe a 1/4 tap would prefer a 0.203" hole, but hey, it is just a Volkswagen....
bbrock
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jun 17 2020, 10:06 AM) *

Using the type 4 PR turned out OK. No extra drilling needed. I got a long 1/4 x 20 tpi bolt and cut it to fit and some nuts. tapped the hole. I measured it as 0.201". I believe a 1/4 tap would prefer a 0.203" hole, but hey, it is just a Volkswagen....

That's great info. Thanks! I'm going to be doing this soon and have a whole pile of Type 4 push rods. Good to know I can easily repurpose one of them.
malcolm2
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
malcolm2
Now I am questioning the TIV pushrod. Reading thru Jake's 16 page process and he states to make sure the adjustment tool has the same tip radius as the cut-to-fit pushrods you are gonna install. I will get some pix of both. But they are different shapes and I am not positive how I would verify or measure....

Maybe some play-dough??
Mark Henry
T4 PR end does have a different shape to it, but from what I've seen the ball sits fully in the lifter and rocker cups.
But if you have a PR tool with the same ends and OD as the new PR's, it makes measuring things easier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.