Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the 914 world
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
6s7s&9s
What's up 914 world. Just wanna take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Mark and I've recently formally acquired a 1973 (74 model year) porsche 914 with 13k miles. It was my dads, it's the car I learned to drive stick in some 16 years ago. The car was running before it went into storage about 8 years ago. I want to make this car roadworthy again and want to do things the right way. Some background on my car experience, hondas, specifically the k20/dc5 platform (we were all ricers once weren't we?) 3 series, e30,e36,e46 from drifting to outgrowing that and got into some enthusiast type modding. Now I'm a father and drive a lightly modded 06 Lexus is350 and daily an 04 Toyota Matrix xrs which I bought real rough but now has been mostly brought back to a solid car.
The car has some surface rust by the windshield (concerned) but no tell take rust disasters. Trunk and spare tire area (frunk?) Is free of rust. Floorboards and under chassis are also clear of rust.
My plans for the 914 are as follows
1) address the fuel line conversion from the fuel tank and SS lines to the motor.
2) I plan on dropping the drivetrain to change all gaskets, vaccum lines, spark plugs and accessories.
3) change clutch, brakes etc
4) replace all fluids
5) rust and paint.

Any advice or tips on what to look out for or suggestions in the order I do things are greatly appreciated. Attached are photos of what I'm working with
kroelofsen
welcome.png
Nojoah
Looks like a solid car, very cool story as well. Have you had a chance to pull off the rockers and inspect the major rust spots? Longs, hell hole, suspension console, pans, etc? if these areas all check out and the rust is simply on the surface, I would suggest starting with the mechanical aspects. Dropping the engine allows you a much better view of the hell hole as well. The clutch change can be done with or without the engine in the car but servicing many of the lines and gaskets is far easier with it out. The fuel line change is also easier without the engine in. Body work and surface rust repair can all be done after the car is mechanically sound.
Cairo94507
welcome.png That is a great history with that car. Great car too. Take lots of pictures, develop a plan to resurrect the car and enjoy. beerchug.gif
6s7s&9s
QUOTE(Nojoah @ Jun 13 2020, 02:18 PM) *

Looks like a solid car, very cool story as well. Have you had a chance to pull off the rockers and inspect the major rust spots? Longs, hell hole, suspension console, pans, etc? if these areas all check out and the rust is simply on the surface, I would suggest starting with the mechanical aspects. Dropping the engine allows you a much better view of the hell hole as well. The clutch change can be done with or without the engine in the car but servicing many of the lines and gaskets is far easier with it out. The fuel line change is also easier without the engine in. Body work and surface rust repair can all be done after the car is mechanically sound.

Thanks for the welcome!
Looks like I need to watch some videos about this "hell hole" lol but I will be updating periodically and try to accomplish something every Sunday. I'll post more pics of thos rust concerning areas
Maltese Falcon
welcome.png , actually looks like it's 90% ready to roll !
JeffBowlsby
Delete.
nditiz1
I really do enjoy these stories. Ones where the 914 is passed to another family member to begin its life again. Looks like a great base to start with.
6s7s&9s
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 13 2020, 02:43 PM) *

Delete.

No. No plans on deleting mufflers or anything like that. Maybe you try a life delete.
But tomorrow I'll have pics of rocker areas and clean out the gas tank area
KELTY360
welcome.png

Looks like a nice starting point. From the rear bumper tits it looks to be a '74. Still a very desirable year. How do you know it has 13k miles. That would be very low for a 46 year old car. Could it be 113,000 miles?

This is a great site for information and encouragement. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Good luck with the car.
76-914
welcome.png Be sure to set your valves when the engine is out. Much easier. smash.gif
FlacaProductions
Hey - welcome to 914World. You're in the right place.
I may have missed something here but go easy on @JeffBowlsby - he's one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people here.
Mikey914
Welcome you have a lot of fun in store.
Fuel lines
Make sure it will stop
Make sure it will go
Drive it! welcome.png
Nojoah
QUOTE(6s7s&9s @ Jun 13 2020, 09:27 PM) *

Delete.

No. No plans on deleting mufflers or anything like that. Maybe you try a life delete.

I think you may have misunderstood... I believe he was referring to his comment. Seems a little harsh about the "life delete".
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Nojoah @ Jun 13 2020, 09:03 PM) *

Delete.

I think you may have misunderstood... I believe he was referring to his comment. Seems a little harsh about the "life delete".

Ah, no worries. I should have been more clear about what I wanted to delete...it was my post that I was referring to.

welcome.png
6s7s&9s
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jun 13 2020, 11:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Nojoah @ Jun 13 2020, 09:03 PM) *

Delete.

Ah, no worries. I should have been more clear about what I wanted to delete...it was my post that I was referring to.

welcome.png

Sorry about that, I saw the post count and I was like damn get on the new guy? Lol
Other boards get like that sometimes. But I'll snag some photos of the odometer, I believe my dad bought it off the original owner . The 914 seems simple enough and hopefully not am excessive money pit. But I am a sucker for analog cars
6s7s&9s
Poked around the 914 a bit, complete noob at 5 digit odometers. Here's a pic, is this 13k or 130k? Is the structure behind the rocker panel the rust issue? Or rocker panel itself ?
Click to view attachment
6s7s&9s
Click to view attachment
iankarr
welcome.png awesome car and great story.

I think you'll find that the community here is every bit as enjoyable as the cars. I made a video series for people who are new to 914s which you may find helpful. Or at least better than a stick in the eye. There's also a bunch of other diy stuff like clutch changes, too. The link is in my signature below.

Welcome, again! Can't wait to see how this develops...
6s7s&9s
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jun 14 2020, 08:46 PM) *

welcome.png awesome car and great story.

I think you'll find that the community here is every bit as enjoyable as the cars. I made a video series for people who are new to 914s which you may find helpful. Or at least better than a stick in the eye. There's also a bunch of other diy stuff like clutch changes, too. The link is in my signature below.

Welcome, again! Can't wait to see how this develops...

I have seen your videos before! But now I just binge watched all the noob 914 ones. Will report back with hell hole and long pics biggrin.gif
campbellcj
welcome.png Looking forward to seeing it brought back to life!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.