Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TINKERGINEERING Dash Pad Teardown
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINKERGINEERING
Episode 5 Dash Pad Teardown
Taking the Dash Pad out wasn't so bad! I think my secret weapon for this job might not exist as much when its time to reinstall. smile.gif
I found a few things that I am wondering about. Maybe you know what it is.
Lots of wiring labeling too. I hope you enjoy this. I am getting better at working on this car too.
Thanks for all the advice from the amazing 914World community! So much more learning to do. I don't know much about this car- only what I learn from taking it apart.

Also, I need to figure out how to get my logo under my name on the Post/thread left side. It loaded 128x128 and I can see it on the right side of my profile page, its there, but doesn't appear on the left under my name. Admin I know is my next step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5YLvfCt_Mc
ConeDodger
The item under the secret door is a mileage counter for the later cars that needed emission control devices serviced. It has a speedo cable attached to it coming from the back of the speedometer gauge to the proximal side, and a second cable going to the transmission from the distal side. Since you will not be using the transmission, you can disconnect and remove both. You will probably use a GPS speedometer, though with the kind of acceleration you will have, you will have a lag before it catches up with you.

My experience is that all the dash nuts are nylon but I've only owned 3 914's so it could be I'm wrong. The point being, in the years before you were born, someone might have messed a bit with the dash and used metal nuts to put it back.

Francis, I wish I'd gotten my kids involved with the cars sooner (like you). Now, whenever they need something done they pull the car in to the garage and sit and stare at it until I start fixing it. biggrin.gif
BTW, you have a future in video production! Very entertaining!
SirAndy
QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ Jun 14 2020, 07:45 AM) *

Also, I need to figure out how to get my logo under my name on the Post/thread left side. It loaded 128x128 and I can see it on the right side of my profile page, its there, but doesn't appear on the left under my name. Admin I know is my next step.

@TINKERGINEERING

There's two places to upload user images, one is to show on your profile page (which you found) but the one that shows next to each of your posts is your avatar.

To upload an avatar image go to:
My Controls/Edit Avatar Settings

bye1.gif

Rleog
Your interest in all this is too cool, Frances. Keep learning. Love the videos.
ben*james
Way to go Frances and dad!

It's really cool to see you having so much fun with this project. Keep it going!

iankarr
Another great video! So much fun to see Frances discovering things as she goes. Does she know how lucky she is to have someone else doing the shooting?? Especially a real Director of Photography? wink.gif. Awesome motion control time lapse too!
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 14 2020, 08:36 AM) *
My experience is that all the dash nuts are nylon ...

agree.gif
mepstein
My experience is that early cars have two dash nuts in steel and the rest plastic. Seen it on at least 5 cars now.
DucRS
Everything about this video is soo cool and very well put together. popcorn[1].gif
Subscribed!
bandjoey
a great video. will be watching for more !.. biggrin.gif
djway
Enjoying your progress.
For wire labels my life became much easier when I stopped using tape for the labels and started using these.
https://www.amazon.com/Amgate-Write-Etherne...s/dp/B0153CAU2M
The tape often becomes illegible over time.
Keep up the great work.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 14 2020, 10:48 PM) *

My experience is that early cars have two dash nuts in steel and the rest plastic. Seen it on at least 5 cars now.

That’s why I said I didn’t know. My 3 cars have been late like hers. (She has a mileage counter) you have much broader experience than I do Mark. Why the steel though?
roblav1
My late 73 had 7 nylon and 2 steel dash nuts. I doubt that dashtop was ever off before.
Jett
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 14 2020, 06:48 PM) *

All three of my cars have nylon and metal
sb914
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Jun 15 2020, 07:23 AM) *

My late 73 had 7 nylon and 2 steel dash nuts. I doubt that dashtop was ever off before.

Mine as well .
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 15 2020, 08:39 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 14 2020, 10:48 PM) *

That’s why I said I didn’t know. My 3 cars have been late like hers. (She has a mileage counter) you have much broader experience than I do Mark. Why the steel though?

My guess is as good as yours. confused24.gif

Go TINKERGINEERING smilie_pokal.gif
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(djway @ Jun 15 2020, 12:53 AM) *

Enjoying your progress.
For wire labels my life became much easier when I stopped using tape for the labels and started using these.
https://www.amazon.com/Amgate-Write-Etherne...s/dp/B0153CAU2M
The tape often becomes illegible over time.
Keep up the great work.

What! We are on it. Thanks for letting me know
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 14 2020, 08:36 AM) *

The item under the secret door is a mileage counter for the later cars that needed emission control devices serviced. It has a speedo cable attached to it coming from the back of the speedometer gauge to the proximal side, and a second cable going to the transmission from the distal side. Since you will not be using the transmission, you can disconnect and remove both. You will probably use a GPS speedometer, though with the kind of acceleration you will have, you will have a lag before it catches up with you.

My experience is that all the dash nuts are nylon but I've only owned 3 914's so it could be I'm wrong. The point being, in the years before you were born, someone might have messed a bit with the dash and used metal nuts to put it back.

Francis, I wish I'd gotten my kids involved with the cars sooner (like you). Now, whenever they need something done they pull the car in to the garage and sit and stare at it until I start fixing it. biggrin.gif
BTW, you have a future in video production! Very entertaining!

Wow! Thank you! Maybe you are right, it does look like people have been all over this car for years. Maybe I should go back to all nylon nuts, I have more research to do.
Thank you for the kind words
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 14 2020, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ Jun 14 2020, 07:45 AM) *

@TINKERGINEERING

There's two places to upload user images, one is to show on your profile page (which you found) but the one that shows next to each of your posts is your avatar.

bye1.gif

Omg thank you for letting me know. i am going to try this right now
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Jun 15 2020, 07:23 AM) *

Hello Thank you for your response. this all looks original as well
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 14 2020, 07:23 PM) *

a great video. will be watching for more !.. biggrin.gif

Thanks for following along
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jun 14 2020, 03:15 PM) *

Another great video! So much fun to see Frances discovering things as she goes. Does she know how lucky she is to have someone else doing the shooting?? Especially a real Director of Photography? wink.gif. Awesome motion control time lapse too!

heeeeey Thanks for checking it out. I am uploading my next episode about taking the bumpers off right now.
I have high expectations for the visuals biggrin.gif
TINKERGINEERING
QUOTE(Rleog @ Jun 14 2020, 11:29 AM) *

Your interest in all this is too cool, Frances. Keep learning. Love the videos.

Thanks. for watching.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(TINKERGINEERING @ Jun 21 2020, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 14 2020, 09:12 AM) *

Omg thank you for letting me know. i am going to try this right now

WooHoo. boldblue.gif It worked.

Click to view attachment

Chalk up another victory for Frances. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.