Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best fog lights for a 75?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmichalik
Hi guys,
As I'm finishing up the front end of the '75, I want to get the fog lights put in.
Does anyone have a recommendation as to which ones are the best? I would get them from @spoke but, these are the rectangle ones and he doesn't do them yet.
I will get all of the rest of the lights from him though so, I would like to get some LED fog lights if possible.
Anyone know of any that fit? If not, any suggestions for the regular ones?
Thanks,
Mike
914Sixer
Lots of options. Look at super bright H3 bulbs or LED replacement bulbs for H3 bulb. Ebay has plenty of each cheap.
Mikey914
Unfortunately, nit an option as they don't have a direct fit. I've looked.

Spoke
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jun 15 2020, 01:22 PM) *

Hi guys,
As I'm finishing up the front end of the '75, I want to get the fog lights put in.
Does anyone have a recommendation as to which ones are the best? I would get them from @spoke but, these are the rectangle ones and he doesn't do them yet.
I will get all of the rest of the lights from him though so, I would like to get some LED fog lights if possible.
Thanks,
Mike

@mmichalik

Mike, I am doing rectangular fogs for the 911. I haven't looked into the later 914 fog assemblies. Do they open up? I need to separate the glass lens from the metal reflector to install a board. Here's what I'm doing for the 911.

914Sixer
The 911 one's should fit perfectly, they are the same unit turned up for the 914 top mount. The 911's are under the bumper mount.
Spoke
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 16 2020, 08:30 AM) *

The 911 one's should fit perfectly, they are the same unit turned up for the 914 top mount. The 911's are under the bumper mount.

Very interesting. Is there only one style of foglights used for the later 914's? The early ones seem to have difference versions like TN1, TN4.
Mikey914
No only one type came from the factory on the late
mmichalik
@spoke - What would you need from me to do this. I believe you said in the past that I could send you the case / lens but, I do not have a set on hand.
The original bumper for the car didn't have the fog lights cut out like the replacement bumper does.
I would be happy to be a test case for you if I could.
Root_Werks
The fog/driving lights are 4x6 correct? If so, there are aftermarket driving lights that seem like they would work.
Spoke
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jun 16 2020, 03:36 PM) *

@spoke - What would you need from me to do this. I believe you said in the past that I could send you the case / lens but, I do not have a set on hand.
The original bumper for the car didn't have the fog lights cut out like the replacement bumper does.

@mmichalik

Mike, could you take a couple of pictures of the foglight fixture? If it is similar or exactly like the 911 fog, we should be able to put LEDs into it. If if does look like the 911 foglight and will come apart, I'd like to get my hands on it to check fitment. If at that time you send one of the fixtures to me, I'll build a board and give you a set for your troubles.
bdstone914
@Spoke
date='Jun 17 2020, 04:37 AM' post='2825828']
[quote name='mmichalik' post='2825641' date='Jun 16 2020, 03:36 PM']
[/quote]

@mmichalik

Mike, could you take a couple of pictures of the foglight fixture? If it is similar or exactly like the 911 fog, we should be able to put LEDs into it. If if does look like the 911 foglight and will come apart, I'd like to get my hands on it to check fitment. If at that time you send one of the fixtures to me, I'll build a board and give you a set for your troubles.
[/quote]

The 911 fogs from 1974-1977 ? are the same housing as the 914 with the mounting bracket mounted in a different position.
The lens is used in other fogs that were used on Mercedes and BMW car of that era.
Your LED board should fit them too. Not many 75-76 cars were made with fog lights. Limited market on 914's.
bdstone914
@Root_Werks
date='Jun 16 2020, 02:26 PM' post='2825672']
The fog/driving lights are 4x6 correct? If so, there are aftermarket driving lights that seem like they would work.
[/quote]

They are closer to 3 x 6. There are rectangular lights that can be adapted. The 914;s that had fogs had an added flange in the metal bumper bar to mount the lights. Adding fogs to a 75-76 car that did not have them has come hurtles either way.
mmichalik
@Spoke When I got the bumper and support, it did not come with the lights so, I don't have any at the moment.
I just asked a couple of people who have hoards of 914 parts, if they had any lying around that were in good shape.
Once I get them, I'll send the over to you. I know we have talked about this in the past so, sorry for the duplicate posts and such. I should have just PM'd you directly but, we got some great information from @bdstone914
I will reach out shortly.
Mike
Spoke
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 17 2020, 12:45 PM) *

The 911 fogs from 1974-1977 ? are the same housing as the 914 with the mounting bracket mounted in a different position.

@bdstone914

That would be fantastic if it's the same basic fixture. My understanding is the 911 years is 74-83 but I could be mistaken.

With the spacers already attached, the LED board drops right into the glass lens. The only modification is to remove the bulb holder and shade. I provide a jig to help remove the holder. It pops right out with a screwdriver and hammer.

Spokeworks 911 '74-'83 LED Foglight
Spoke
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jun 17 2020, 03:46 PM) *

@Spoke When I got the bumper and support, it did not come with the lights so, I don't have any at the moment.
I just asked a couple of people who have hoards of 914 parts, if they had any lying around that were in good shape.
Once I get them, I'll send the over to you. I know we have talked about this in the past so, sorry for the duplicate posts and such. I should have just PM'd you directly but, we got some great information from @bdstone914
I will reach out shortly.
Mike

@mmichalik

I responded to your PM. No problem for the duplicate posts. I've got so many things going on it's hard to keep track of them all.

Here's one of the latest boards just completed. Sent the board file to the fab house today. It's for 911R light fixtures like this one:

911R Rear Turnsignal/Brake

Here's the board layout. I was able to jam 48 LEDs on to a board about 1/2 the size of the standard 911 brake.
theer
@spoke can you tell me the rough dimensions of the 911 led piece (L x W x H)? I'd be interested to see if they fit in the early 944 fog lights.

Thanks,
Tom
Spoke
QUOTE(theer @ Jun 17 2020, 04:52 PM) *

@spoke can you tell me the rough dimensions of the 911 led piece (L x W x H)? I'd be interested to see if they fit in the early 944 fog lights.

Thanks,
Tom

@theer

Tom,

The board size is 5.307 x 2.47 inch and about 1/2 inch above the board (into the lens) and 1/2 inch below the board (into the reflector).
mmichalik
@spoke as promised, here are some pictures of the lights I obtained from another 914 member.
Let me know what you think. They are BOSCH LE1203L
Thanks,
Mike
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 17 2020, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 17 2020, 12:45 PM) *

@bdstone914

That would be fantastic if it's the same basic fixture. My understanding is the 911 years is 74-83 but I could be mistaken.

With the spacers already attached, the LED board drops right into the glass lens. The only modification is to remove the bulb holder and shade. I provide a jig to help remove the holder. It pops right out with a screwdriver and hammer.

Spokeworks 911 '74-'83 LED Foglight

The '84-'89 fog was integral with the lower valence. I don't think it was dramatically different from the earlier one.
Spoke
Mike,

These appear to be identical to the 911 units which others have said. Here's a set of 911 foglights I just sent out. The fixture looks identical to yours. The LED boards should drop right in.

mmichalik
Just wanted to say Thanks to everyone who responded here. The advice and direction was perfect and appreciated.
@Spoke , I will order the boards today. Do I need to send in the lights or is the install something I can do myself?
Spoke
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jun 23 2020, 10:53 AM) *

Just wanted to say Thanks to everyone who responded here. The advice and direction was perfect and appreciated.
@Spoke , I will order the boards today. Do I need to send in the lights or is the install something I can do myself?

@mmichalik

Mike,

I'm pretty sure the LED boards will fit but not 100% sure. It would be best to send the fixtures to me to verify.
mmichalik
@spoke Sounds good. I just sent them out and sent you a PM as well
Gatornapper
Late to this thread, but I have the original '75/'76 fog lights in my front bumper, that DrPhil purchased as NOS, in like-new condition.

You cannot open the original ones, the reflector back is sealed to the glass, and they only take H3 lamps.

I use mine as running lights/DRLs, not as fog lights, and for that H3 LEDs from Superbrightleds.com work fine.

But the LEDs won't work as decent fog lights as they don't have the correct aim location as an incandescent lamp with a filament.

Hth,

GN

QUOTE(mmichalik @ Jun 15 2020, 11:22 AM) *

Hi guys,
Thanks,
Mike

Spoke
@mmichalik

Mike, got your fogs assembled and ready to ship. These fixtures are identical to the early '74-'83 units used on the 911. The assembly of these is very simple.

First take everything apart. The incandescent bulbs and holder springs are removed.
Click to view attachment

Next have to pop out the bulb holder and shade. To facilitate this, I have a special jig that holds the reflector and allows the bulb holder to be tapped out with a screwdriver and hammer.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Spoke
After a couple of taps on the 3 tits securing the bulb holder it drops right out. This one reflector is not in good shape but the LEDs will not use it so its condition doesn't matter.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Spoke
I cleaned the glass lenses but there is still some tape residue on the lenses which needs more help to remove it.

The LED board sit inside the glass lens. Plastic spacers keep everything tight when the lens is assembled to the reflector.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Ready to rock and roll. You will have to add the vehicle wiring to finish the install.

Also I did not fasten the glass lens to the reflectors very well because I didn't want to damage anything as the 4 securing tabs need to be bent on to the glass lens. You will need to finish this up.

The wiring is simple: red wire is 12V and brown wire is ground. The LEDs have 0.250 male spade connectors. Thus the ground and power should have female spades. The power spade must be insulated or you need to add some heat shrink tubing.

The female ground spade from the vehicle does not need to be insulated as the male ground spade on the LEDs is insulated.

Click to view attachment
mmichalik
@spoke Thanks for taking care of this!
I'm excited to get them installed in the car.
I'm also glad to have been able to help determine if the rectangle fogs in our 914's were the same as the ones used by the 911 group.
I hope you get a ton of orders for them now. smile.gif (for those who keep the BUB's on the car)
Mike
GregAmy
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jun 24 2020, 06:29 PM) *

I use [my foglights] as running lights/DRLs, not as fog lights, and for that H3 LEDs from Superbrightleds.com work fine.

But the LEDs won't work as decent fog lights as they don't have the correct aim location as an incandescent lamp with a filament.

@Gatornapper , do you still agree with this? I've got a foglight out so need to replace the bulb, and I also only use mine as DRLs. Since the bumper is coming off it's just as easy to toss LEDs in there...

Edit: I presume these are not blinding to oncoming traffic? I also keep my foglights on at night.
Gatornapper
Wow! Has it really been almost 3 months since I've been to the forum? Time flies when you are busy at non-914 stuff.

Yes, still think this way. No way lights are blinding day or night. In fact, they could be a lot brighter. Mine will be on all the time when driving - hopefully can get engine back in soon....

Try them - they aren't expensive.

I still want to get Spoke's version someday........

GN

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Oct 15 2020, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Jun 24 2020, 06:29 PM) *

I use [my foglights] as running lights/DRLs, not as fog lights, and for that H3 LEDs from Superbrightleds.com work fine.

@Gatornapper , do you still agree with this? I've got a foglight out so need to replace the bulb, and I also only use mine as DRLs. Since the bumper is coming off it's just as easy to toss LEDs in there...

Edit: I presume these are not blinding to oncoming traffic? I also keep my foglights on at night.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.