Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stripped threads on shift coupling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
I took apart my shift linkage to install a clean transmission housing cover from 914 Rubber. The cone screw at the firewall linkage was already a bit wonky and in putting it all back together, I stripped what was left of the threads from the coupling u-joint.

I have one of these inserts from Auto Atlanta. How do I go about installing it?

1. Do I need to drill out the coupling?
2. What size drill bit?
3. Do I need to get a tap and die or is the insert self-threading?
4. And since the cone screw doesn't have a head, how do I get leverage to put in the insert? Do I need to get a screw of the same pitch? Anybody know what size screw?

(and if there's anybody local to NOVA who wants to help me with this, I am relatively useless on my own. I'll buy you a six-pack.)

Click to view attachment
BPic
I've never put one of those in but I believe I have an extra coupling I could send you.

Let me know, Brad
UROpartsman
No doubt George will chime in, but this is probably your basic game plan:

- Remove the coupling from the car.

- Determine the thread size and pitch of the insert OD. (George will know.)

- Drill and tap coupling to match insert OD.

- Get a bolt with lots of threads that matches the insert ID threads, and a matching nut. Spin the nut onto the bolt slightly further than the insert is deep. Thread the bolt into the insert, then put on a wrench on the bolt head and tighten the nut against the top of the insert with a second wrench. You now have an insertion tool.

- Apply red Locktite to insert OD (don't get any on the inner threads) and thread it into coupling using a wrench on the bolt head (or on the nut, doesn't really matter).

- Wait a day for Locktite to set. Put wrench on bolt head to prevent insert from unscrewing, loosen nut with a second wrench, then unscrew the bolt from the insert.

- Reinstall repaired coupling in car.
sixnotfour
looks like a time-sert
914Sixer
Somebody made a kit to do just what you need. I bought one at one point. It was a insert and a new screw. Not sure if I still have it.
GregAmy
Just get a good use one.
Tdskip
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 15 2020, 04:18 PM) *

Just get a good use one.

^^^^^
+1

Not expensive and probably best to keep stock.
914e
They are still available from Porsche
911-424-221-00 about $60 from the dealer. Mine broke into about 3 pieces when I was pulling out the linkage.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.